Pages

Monday, 1 February 2016

Goodbye January Hello February


I started off the month saying goodbye to 2015 and welcoming 2016. I clung onto the last days of December by making a naughty but nice cheesecake. In January we have three birthdays starting with mine. I was very spoiled this year when my colleagues decorated the office and one of them made me a lovely lemon cake. I received lots of gorgeous gifts and flowers from family and friends and rounded off the celebrations with a meal with my daughter and her boyfriend. Our little Rufus turned 4 in January and our eldest son Matt turned 28 (I can't believe that little baby I bought home is now knocking on the door of 30 where did those years go).  Last year one of my challenges was to bake or make something I hadn't made before. I really enjoyed this challenge and although I have decided not to make any challenges this year I thought I would carry on and make the odd thing as and when the mood takes me. I went for Mary Berry's Cappuccino Cake which was delicious and you can find the recipe here. I also in my madness decided I needed to loose a little weight. Sitting in the car for long periods driving does not help one's waste line.  There are times when I don't get home until late and eating at past eight o'clock is not the best time of the evening to eating a meal.  As I have access to a microwave at work I have started taking something a bit more substantial for lunch and having a lighter bite when I get home and there are times when nothing else will do than boiled egg and soldiers. I confess I am a bit of a nibbler during the day so instead of reaching for the biscuits or crisps I am trying to eat more fruit and I have now managed two weeks without biscuits and crisps at work.  As we entered into the New Year a very good friends daughter had her second baby and a snuggle blanket was duly despatched. At the same time I didn't want his older brother to feel that all the attention was going to his new baby and I sent him a Storytime Elmer blanket together with an Elmer book which he reads with his daddy before bed.  I loved this photograph that his mum send me after a hard day at nursery school all snuggled up in his Elmer blanket.  I have now completed 3 baby blankets since Christmas and I am about to join yet more granny squares together to make a fourth snuggle blanket for a little girl who is due to arrive in April. Finally as we are approaching the end of January the mornings are getting lighter and we have experienced some stunning sunrises over the last couple of weeks.  As we are now heading into February it is fast approaching Spring (yea) in fact anyone who follows Little Green Rabbits blog will know that as far as Vivienne is concerned Winter has finished and we are now in Pre Spring.  I think I might go with that too.

Happy Pre Spring everybody

Mx


19 comments:

  1. I must admit that pre spring does sound much better than winter. Love the photo of the Elmer blanket being put to good use, isn't it nice when our handmade creations are loved and used? I'm a snacker too, I adore crisps, so well done on your achievements so far. I really should take a leaf out of your book and reach for a piece of fruit instead of a packet of crisps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always encouraged the kids to eat fruit and even though the big ones have left home they all have a healthy fruit bowl. I was always take it or leave it but we decided in the office to cut down and eat more fruit and try to stop the snacking but it's very easy to nibble when you're sat at your desk. So we are all being good and bringing in our fruit and not having our treat of a pastry on a Friday. Not sure how long it will last but I'll give it ago.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, you have been busy. February is our month for birthdays, mine, two of my brothers, my nephew, best friend and also her daughter, it's never ending! Does it rain in pre-spring? If it does I don't want it! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may rain in pre spring but that is better than the fluffy white stuff and freezing cold mornings. We have another lot of birthdays in February my son, daughter and our Monty (Blenheim boy) will turn eight this year, although he still seems to think he's only a pup most of the time.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, you have been busy. February is our month for birthdays, mine, two of my brothers, my nephew, best friend and also her daughter, it's never ending! Does it rain in pre-spring? If it does I don't want it! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for pre spring but I wish this wind would do one, I'm very fearful for my garden fence! I'm a snacker too but have now banned temptations from the house. Happy February x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite happy to go with pre spring especially when the snow drops and daffs start appearing. It's very hard to resist temptation isn't it but I am trying very hard which in some ways makes it worse because then I'm thinking about food all the time.

      Delete
  5. Boiled egg and soldiers, one of my favourite comfort foods, though the fruit looks very good too! It's lovely to know your blanket is being loved and used xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a little obsessed with egg and soldiers at the moment. There's nothing better to come home to if I'm late leaving the office as it's so quick. I'm still trying to be good and eat more fruit and not one bag of crisps have passed my lips since christmas.

      Delete
  6. Pre-Spring I like that idea.
    Crisps are my weakness too, always have been. I am better than I used to be with them though and I must say our Nutribullet has helped increase my healthy intake of foods, one of those smoothies can be so filling. Our freezer has a lot of Tesco frozen fruit cocktail in it!!
    As for boiled egg and soldiers, one of my favourite meals ever, delicious.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep has to be pre spring even if there has been a few snow flakes in the air over the last week.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Three of my children and two of the dogs all have winter birthdays as well as me in January. It's a very busy time of year.

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy your roundup of the month in pictures and also like your summary in words. That's thoughtful to include the big brother and make him an Elmer blanket to go with an Elmer book. That's sweet. Have a lovely February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I always think it tough when a new baby arrives as everyone coos around the new arrival and the older siblings then get over looked so I do try and include them when I'm making a baby gift and it seems to work well.

      Delete
  9. I'm a big fan of boiled egg and soldiers. I try to be virtuous food wise in January, but my local Co-op is now selling creme eggs. I don't have the strength to resist.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creme eggs now you're talking I have to avoid that isle when they are on sale I love them. But boiled egg and soldiers is one of my all time favourites.

      Delete
  10. Pre spring, yes, I like the sound of that! Isn't it lovely to know your baby blankets are being put to such good use and so well loved. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep definitely pre spring in our house, even though I am a winter baby I much prefer to think that the warmer weather is only around the corner. I've delivered three of my blankets to colleagues at work this week who are imminently going off on maternity leave. Glad I'm passed the aged of trying to avoid that particular chair in the office as they used to say when I was younger.

      Delete