This is just for Penny at The Homemade Heart or anyone else who might like to give this ago.
A couple of weeks ago I posted that I had made Apple Streusel Cake and Penny asked if I would post the recipe so here we go.
- 450g/1lb cooking apples
- 175g/6oz self raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (I used ginger instead as the cinnamon was a little overpowering)
- pinch of salt
- 115g/4oz butter plus extra for greasing
- 115g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- icing sugar for dusting
- 115g/4oz self raising flour
- 85g/3oz butter
- 85g/3oz caster sugar
- preheat the oven to 180/350/4 then grease a 23cm/9" spring form cake tin. To make the streusel topping sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter until resembles bread crumbs. Add the cater sugar and put to one side. (I put mine in the fridge so it holds together better.
- Peel the apples and thinly slice. In a bowl sift the flour with the cinnamon or ginger and salt. In a separate bowl put the sugar and butter and cream until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs adding a little of the flour with the last of the egg. Gently fold in half the remaining flour then fold in the rest with the milk.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Cover with the the sliced apples and sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the top.
- Bake in a a preheated oven for 1 hour or until browned and firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin before opening the sides. Once cooled dust with icing sugar.
Now this one is lovely cold with a cup of tea but we also like it warmed through with custard.
One last thing