Pages

Sunday, 27 September 2015

It's Official Autumn Is Here


Come Wednesday and the Autumn Equinox Autumn was officially upon us.
The following day was an early start at the office and I could not believe just how dark it was outside as I set off with head lights on.

I have always loved this season and I have always thought this is when the New Year begins.
There will be many of you sending your off spring off to school for the first time, those that will be moving up to big school and college and even scarier those that will be delivering your precious now young adult to University to begin a whole new chapter in their lives, and all you can think about is what happened to that helpless little bundle you bought home eighteen years ago.  I know it doesn't seem like it when they are little but time really does go that fast and I was reminded of this only last week as the youngest turned 12 and is definitely entering pre teen mode so I will enjoy the next year before teenwolf arrives next September.





This week I have been reading Val McDermid's modernisation of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey as part of the Austen Project.  I've never read the Jane Austen novel to be able to compare but it seemed a good adaptation to me, although I'm not sure some of the language used by the teenagers would actually be what today's teens would say.  On the other hand I have been getting lots of comments about my little giraffe bookmark that I won as part of Jo Through the Keyhole  giveaway.


I have now completed the second of my Elmer Blankets and I each one will  have a copy of David McKee's Elmer book to take to their new homes.




and each little blanket I make has one of these attached.  Aren't they just the cutest thing to finish off your completed project.  




Of course it is Yarndale weekend but unfortunately Cinders could not go to the ball this year as my big boys had something arranged for this weekend, which meant somebody had to be at home to look after the four paw boys. 
So as Cinders was at home she decided to bake a cake. This one is an Apple Streusel cake and is delicious on it's own or with custard.  I may save some for when the boys get back but I can't promise.

Well that's me for another week. As today is Cross stitch Sunday you know what craft I will be doing today. Yes I will be adding more stitches to my Fairy Queen and as by the time we get to my next post we will be at the end of another month (where did September go to already) I will post a photo of my progress. Not a lot this month due to other commitments and crocheting of my Elmer Blankets. 

Have a great week one and all and for those who did go to Yarndale I am looking forward with envy to seeing all your lovely photographs. I shall have to make sure next year's date gets in the diary before anything else does.

Mx 

10 comments:

  1. Lovely post and those rugs are gorgeous you clever girl. Autumn for you and Spring for us. Are you going to take part in Jo's crocetalong. I've started but am having trouble with the number of stitches. (I seem to have 2 less than on the first row). Maybe I'm just goofy, but I'll keep plodding away. Enjoy autumn and the beautiful colours and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not taking part in this one no. I am still working on the third Elmer blanket and this one is bigger than the other two for two brothers to share once the latest addition arrives in the New Year. Still a number of squares to go.

      Delete
  2. It was so dark on Thursday morning wasn't it! I couldn't believe the dofference.
    Your cake looks very tasty indeed, lashings of custard on mine please!
    Same about Yarndale, book next year's now.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely darker in the morning it's like someone flicked a switch. We like this cake with custard to as well as on it's own.

      Delete
  3. I was at Yarndale yesterday, post to follow. It's a shame you couldn't make it but there's always next year. I've never read a Jane Austen novel but I remember friends who were at a different school to me reading Northanger Abbey for their English Lit O level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been lots of great photo's on instagram this weekend and there looked to be lots of great stalls. So yes maybe next year.

      Delete
  4. I live that little hand tag! So cute! The cake looks totally delicious, perhaps you could post the recipe some time? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep the little hands are great I think I got them through Amazon but I am going to have to order some more before too long. The cake is very nice we enjoyed a slice with custard last night whilst watching Downton Abbey. Will post the recipe later in the week or at the weekend.

      Delete
  5. I do love your Elmer blankets, and such a lovely idea to send an Elmer book with them. Those little hands are so cute! One day we may make it to Yarndale!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the only trouble with this time of year we get shorter days ... however, they have been especially sunny recently which has been good.

    Like your Elmer blankets.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete