Pages

Sunday, 6 September 2015

Goodbye Summer Hello Autumn


I thought I would start this post off with some lovely memories of the summer sunshine as there has been a definite nip in the air this last week reminding us that the season it is a changing and Autumn is coming whether we like it or not



Have we all been keeping up with GBBO.  D doesn't even quibble anymore he just knows that once Bake Off is back on the screens that that one hour on a Wednesday evening belongs to me and he's even started commenting on the bakes so I think he's getting just a little hooked himself.
There are some very strong contenders this series aren't there, and up to now I think the right person has been sent home, it will as we all know only get tougher for Paul and Mary to decide.Can't quite make up my mind yet as to who could be the potential winner.
In honour of the GBBO and the fact Autumn is upon us I made my Ginerbread Loaf last weekend and what better than to have a slice with a frothy coffee whilst watching on a Wednesday evening. 



There are definitely more signs of Autumn coming. Getting up in the morning and it's already dark outside.
It was an extra early start for me on Thursday so I got to see the beginnings of a beautiful sunrise. That's the one good thing at this time of year, the skies are just beautiful whether it be in the morning or evening.


Another definite sign is these teetering on the trees ready to fall anytime soon, although I'm sure they weren't quite this early last year but I suppose if I looked back to this time last year I would be saying exactly the same thing then too.
I have started my Autumn reads and this week I had a little one on one time with Mr Fry. I have read his previous two memoirs, Moab is my washpot and The Fry Chronicles. His latest memoir takes us from the age of 30 to the present.  I do like Stephen Fry and all three of his memoirs have been good reads.



Last weekend I also had a delivery of new colours for two more baby blankets. Heather at Little Tin Bird  came up with the Elmer blanket full of lots of vibrant colours and a tutorial to boot.  When I found out another two blankets were required for babies due at the end of the year I immediately thought of Heather's Elmer blanket.  It was also Heather who came up with the very clever idea of colour pegs in order to put colour combinations together. Having adopted this nifty idea I have to say it works very well and is something I will continue to use in the future.


More progress has been made on The Fairy Queen, I am now two thirds of the way through with the stitching, there is more bead work to be done and more backstitching to finish her off and then I will be onto the final one in the series The Earth Goddess.  My challenge for this year was to complete one cross stitch project and it looks like I will achieve three so I am more than happy with that.


This 'Let's Quilt' cross stitch is going to be a gift for a friend who always helps me out with anything required on a sewing machine, I can just about sew in a straight line. It's her birthday in December and when I saw the chart at the Festival of Quilts I knew I just had to buy it and make it for her as a surprise. I have added more stitches to it since taking this photograph and I think it may well be a ta dah moment in my next post. 


And lastly I just thought I would share this photographs having a bit a a lie in yesterday they just looked so sweet cuddling up to one another. 

So that's me until next time.
Stay safe and warm

Mx









22 comments:

  1. Your stitching is all looking beautiful! You are obviously enjoying it. I have been denying and ignoring any coming of autumn, but as you say, it is coming so I better admit to it soon! I have been watching and enjoying the bake off too, and doing a bit of baking here! Hope you enjoy watching and baking! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly are it was so dark when I got up this morning. I'm not a domestic goddess when it comes to baking but I like to have a go every now and then otherwise you end up sticking to only what you know works. There have been some disasters along the way.

      Delete
  2. I'm not ready for autumn, we haven't had any summer yet. I can't believe how quickly the nights are drawing in though, it's just about dark at eight o clock now. Bake Off is something we all watch together, Mick enjoys it as much as I do and Eleanor watches it with us too. I think previous series have shown that anyone can win, the very best baker can go to pot in the final and end up throwing it away so it's anyone's game. Your stitching is beautiful, I really like the 'Let's Quilt' design and I'm sure your friend will be thrilled with it. Awww, your doggies look like the best of friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No we definitely didn't get a summer a part from one Wednesday early on so if you blinked you probably missed it. D is getting used to GBBO he does watch it and does make the occasional comment but he won't miss it when it finishes the way I do. I think the right person went last week at this level you can't experiment too much and hope to get a way with it. I have now finished lets quilt putting the last stitch in at 9pm last night so will be a ta dah post this week. Yes the boys quite often cuddle up and these two quite often stay together.

      Delete
  3. Love the fairy, where did the design come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magical-Cross-Stitch-Enchanting-Fantasy/dp/0715324578/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441613931&sr=8-3&keywords=enchanting+cross+stitch+book
      Not tried this before so not sure if the link to Amazon will work if not look up Magical Cross stitch book and it should bring it up the book has a HPheonix on the front, the Fairy Queen is one of a set of three, I have already completed the Dark Sorceress I'm now working on the Fairy Queen and I have the Earth Goddess to do. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  4. You can tell its Autumnal too by the size of the spiders everywhere!! Do you watch Jo Brands spin off extra slice programme on a Friday night? Do, it's so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the spiders haven't made their presence known in the cottage yet, they are the one thing I can't stand. I have watched some of the Jo Brands but as I force D to watch GBBO I don't always feel I can make him watch another slice as well.

      Delete
  5. It is getting colder isn't it, I don't cope with the cold very well so I'm always wrapped up. My winter boots never get put away! I love this time of year though, love your stitching its very neat. Can I admit out loud that I don't watch the bake off any more! I've struggled to get into it the last couple of years. Wishing you a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the cold but as a women of a certain age where I run on hot all the time it's quite nice to occasional have the cool air to cool me down. The Lets Quilt cross stitch is now finished. I put the last stitch in at 9pm last night so there will be a ta dah moment in my post this week. It's back to my crocheting and the Fairy Queen now.

      Delete
  6. There most definitely is a nip in the air, but thankfully the sun has been out and shining brightly the past few days.
    You are making excellent progress with your makes.
    I like the idea of watching GBBO with a slice of homemade cake, it should be compulsory!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should shouldn't it unfortunately we don't have any cake for me to have with it tonight.

      Delete
  7. This will make you laugh- I had a GBBO nightmare last night. A giant gingerbread was spread all over our front drive and I shouted at my husband to get out of bed and remove it. Do you think maybe I'm watching too much of it?! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately they've done biscuit week so hopefully that dream won't come true anytime soon.

      Delete
  8. I'm quite ready for Autumn, I've never read Stephen Fry though I do like him, maybe I should take a dip xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Stephen Fry he is such a wordsmith isn't he. Quite a trouble man sadly but he does seem to have a handle on his bipolar these days I do hope so.

      Delete
  9. Autumn for you and Spring for us. Just on catchup at the moment and what a lovely assorted post. I can't believe your wonderful x-stitch and am looking forward to seeing the baby rugs as they progress. Never read Stephen Fry, and will see if the library has any, though I do have one to pick up tomorrow by Clare Balding, called Walking Home, after an event about Jane Austen, which maybe I'll blog about. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have completed the Quilters cross stitch so that will be a ta dah moment this week. I do like Stephen Fry. I did read Claire Baldings My Family and other Animals and I did enjoy it immensely.

      Delete
  10. Love all your craft work Mitzi. We all enjoy the Bake Off too, and agree that the judging has been very consistent this year. Still haven't made my mind up who I think is going to win. It is so cleverly edited that it is hard to tell at the moment! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have even got D watching it now and he even comments when they don't stick to the brief. This from the man who used to role his eyes when I mentioned it was on. Only have to get him as interested in the great british sewing b now but have a few months to work on him with that one.

      Delete
  11. It's definitely cooler in the mornings, saying that we managed to get a trip to the beach this week, it was so sunny here.
    Loving the cross stitch, I'm in awe of your talent, it's one thing I'm useless at.
    The picture of the dogs melted me, there's nothing so cute as dogs laying all cuddled up together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't draw to save my life, therefore cross stitch is my way of being an artist. These two are usually found snuggled up together they're quite sweet aren't they

    ReplyDelete