Pages

Sunday, 13 September 2015

Cross stitch Ta Dah moment

Good Morning fellow bloggers I hope I find you in fine fettle on this Sunday morning.
The sun has got his hat on this morning so I'm hoping it's going to be a lovely day.


I promised you a ta dah moment and here it is. I have completed my 'Let's Quilt' cross stitch.
The pattern is by Imaginating.com designed by Ursula Michael. It uses three DMC colours,
550 Very Dark Violet, 796 Dark Royal Blue and 3847 Dark Teal Green. 
Although I was a little panicked that I wouldn't get time to do this as a gift for a friends birthday in actual fact it took no time at all. One month exactly so I don't know what I was worried about.
I am not going to have it framed, reason being said friend as she bought herself the 'Let's Sew' chart by the same company which she is stitching (her first attempt at cross stitch) so I thought she may want to have the framed the same or would that just be me.  She is also a keen quilter which was the reason I chose the chart but it could easily be incorporated in a quilt or as the centre piece of a cushion.
I will be back with a photo of whatever she decides no doubt, but as her birthday isn't until December you have a bit of a wait. 


I've been let loose in the kitchen again.
I have wanted to attempt a lemon tart for ages and I finally got a round to it.
D had cut himself a slice before it had even cooled down properly so I thought I bet snap a pic before it all disappeared and then what else was I supposed to do but eat it.



It's also that time again when stodge becomes prominent in our house whether it be beef stew and dumplings or a pudding that has that nice autumnal feel about it.
Sponge pudding with custard, doesn't get any better does it.
Although there appears to be a lot of pears on the tree this year so I feel a crumble or two coming on.



I showed this pic last week displaying all the colours to my next crochet project.
An Elmer blanket inspired by Heather at Little Tin Bird.


I then progressed to this.


and now I'm at the joining stage whilst trying to decide on a fairly standard border or something fancy.
I'm thinking a standard dc border for this one.

On the reading front my time with Mr Fry has come to an end.  I did enjoy his latest memoir but sure it was the best of the trilogy. Thursday came and onto my kindle pinged the new Amanda Prowse 'Three and half Heratbeats' I saved it for the weekend but so far I've not had much chance to read it.Mrs P's latest offering is about a family affected by the loss of a loved one to Sepsis and all the proceeds are going to the Sepsis Trust.It's only available as an e read but at under £2 is worth a read for such a good cause. 




Back on the home front.  It was Moth night on Thursday night (I think it was Thursday) and I think this little fella was a bit Mothballed out.  He was looking a little worse for ware outside the back door on Friday morning as I left for work.  I popped him in among the flower beds and he had gone when I got home.
I've not seen one like this before so if anyone has any idea what he may be I'd like to know. Only had this flash of red on one wing. D thought he may be a hybrid but I have no idea.

So that's me for this weeks installment of life at the Willows.

Don't forget I am now on Instagram and you can pop over and see what up I've been up to here

and in my madness I've set up a facebook page too which you can find here

Have a lovely week one and all

Mx


20 comments:

  1. Love all your craft efforts and the lemon tart looks divine. Your moth is a red underwing- a lovely find, in three years of mothing I've never had one here and never seen one in the flesh before. Well done! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very excited now then. Don't normally get unusual finds in the garden. He was lucky I spotted him before the four paws rushed out the door.

      Delete
  2. The cross stitch is beautiful, I really like that, your friend is going to be so pleased with her gift. The lemon tart looks very tasty, I love anything with lemon in it though I've never attempted a tart. Your Elmer blanket hasn't taken you long at all, you've got that crocheted up in no time. I made something similar but with one colour granny squares and it's the blanket which is used the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not tried it before but it was absolutely delicious, I am a fan of lemon. This was a Raymond Blanc recipe from the internet as it was on a food programme but I only turned over to it half way through. The light in the evening is not very good at the cottage I have now finished it and got the border on to so that will be another Ta dah moment this week. I am making a couple of these but thought I'd change the colours on the border and the one I use to connect the squares. Neither know what they are having so it seemed the easier solution.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful sampler, it would look lovely in a cushion, I wonder where it will go! Your lemon tart looks rather scummy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a cushion but as she is stitching another one by the same company she may choose to frame the two. The lemon tart was certainly scrummy not a piece left.

      Delete
  4. Lemon tart looks lush. I love the blanket, you crochet the squares together so nice and evenly. Mine look nothing like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon tart very nice. Recipe on the internet by Raymond Blanc. I don't enjoy the joining together I always think it could be neater and I really couldn't make my mind up what colour to use to join the squares this time. Having said that it does look really nice using the parchment colour.

      Delete
  5. Your embroidery is beautiful!!!!! I am sure that your friend will love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I'm sure she will but it's a couple of months until her birthday so it will be a wait and see.

      Delete
  6. The embroidery looks great and we'll all get a surprise later in the year when we see what she does with it. Your rug has been done so quickly and is lovely. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly will. I'm looking forward to seeing what she decides. First Elmer blanket is finished just needs washing and putting away until the end of October for when my colleague goes on Matt leave. I think she will like it.

      Delete
  7. Lovely post - cross stitch, puddings & moths! Love the blanket too, there wont be any space for me soon in my house with all the blankets I have planned x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a problem isn't it. I have run out of wall space for my cross stitches so I have to rotate them round every so often but I can't stop making them I just enjoy it too much. I have space allocated for the three ladies then I will have to have a reshuffle if I make anymore. I've got my on the Lavender and Lace Celtic ladies of which there are a series of five and I also like the Mirabilia Raven Queen. Then there are the crochet blankets I'm not too bad with those yet as I have been making a lot as gifts but I do have quite a few ideas of one's to make for myself too, can you have to many crochet blankets?

      Delete
  8. The cross stitch is lovely Mitzi, what a lovely gift. I picked up a bit of cross stitch last week for the first time in ages, just a tiny project. Love your Elmer blanket too; I'm sure I still have an Elmer the Elephant book somewhere - what can I say, I'm a hoarder! :o) Have a great week. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, I know she is going to love it, it's whether I can keep it under wraps until December or whether my excitement will get the better of me and I end up giving it to her sooner. I had bought her a quilting book for her birthday but that's going to be for xmas now so she will be totally shocked when she see's it. I don't remember mine having Elmer books but when I saw Heather's blanket at Little Tin Bird I knew this was just the ticket for two mums who don't know what they are expecting which is lovely but makes it all the harder for me when choosing colours.

      Delete
  9. I really like your cross stitch - it's a bit different to so many of the other charts and kits you see. Your Elmer blanket is going to be lovely - such bright colours. I laughed at your husband eating the lemon tart before it is cool - my daughter will only eat my little currant buns straight from the oven when still warm!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite simple but it definitely describes what quilting is and I know she is going to love it. The Elmer blanket didn't take as long as I thought it would and I have half the squares made up to make the next one. Hot currant buns sound very nice with butter...

      Delete
  10. I'm sure your friend is going to be thrilled with her gift. I think not framing it is an excellent idea as she'l be able to do what she wants with it.
    Oh that lemon tart looks divine, I bet it went down very well. And I can never resist custard, looks of mouth watering treats in your post today.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm, I just want to eat that lemon tart right now! I love anything with lemons, the colour, as well as the taste, is beautiful. What a lovely gift for your friend. She will be thrilled! X

    ReplyDelete