Pages

Tuesday, 15 September 2015

Another Ta Dah Moment

My ta dah moments are a bit like buses at the moment. 
You wait ages for one and then two turn up at once. Or very nearly.

Having completed my cross stitch last week I have now completed the first of my Elmer Blankets. 
The light isn't great in the cottage at this time of year so this photo probably doesn't do it justice.


This blanket is the inspiration of Heather from Little Tin Bird blog.  

I seem to have a number of expectant colleagues at the moment and as one goes off on maternity leave another seems to announce that they are expecting.

I have two such colleagues at the moment and neither know what they are having, which is a lovely surprise for them not so lovely for me when I am trying to decide on colours for a blanket,

I have made the traditional white, white & lemon or white & mint blankets in the past but when I saw Heathers blanket it seemed to tick all the right boxes, especially as I know at least one of my colleagues has a mother who is a crafter and will no doubt already have a christening shawl on the go. 

I made a total of 42 squares (2 in each colour), in Stylecraft DK. There are only 20 in my little peg circle but as I was deciding on the layout I realised I could do with a 2 more so added in Parchment (as I find the white Stylecraft DK a bit thinner than the other colours although it is the same weight yarn).

The colours I used are:-

  1. Aspren 
  2. Aster
  3. Clematis
  4. Cloud Blue
  5. Fondant
  6. Lavender
  7. Lemon
  8. Lipstick
  9. Magenta
  10. Meadow
  11. Midnight
  12. Parchment
  13. Plum
  14. Pomegranate
  15. Raspberry
  16. Sherbet
  17. Shrimp
  18. Spring Green
  19. Sunshine
  20. Turquoise
  21. Violet
I couldn't make my mind up which colour to use as the joining colour and in the end plumbed for Parchment with it being quite a neutral colour.  The border is one row of Parchment, Plum, Aster and 2 rows of Aspen finished off with one more row of Parchment. 

I already have quite a number of the squares made up for the next Elmer Blanket so no doubt I will be back with another ta dah before too long.  I intend using a different colour yarn/s to join and make the borders on each one to give them that little bit of individuality.  It just remains for me to purchase an Elmer book to go with each one to complete the gift.  



Hope you're having a good week one & all.

Mx

21 comments:

  1. Wow, you are racing through these projects- makes me feel I should get Phyllis (sewing machine) out and make something this wet afternoon! The blanket looks great. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a name like Phyllis she should definitely be out and making something.

      Delete
  2. Oh Mitzi it looks fab, well done you. I'm in the middle of a simple granny square one. I'd love to do an Elmer one some day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like granny square blankets I have one in mind to make soon, once all the Elmer Blankets are out of the way. Heather has a tutorial on her Little Tin Bird Blog as well as lots of other tutorials.

      Delete
  3. That is truly beautiful. That Elmer blanket is just a perfect baby gift. You are very talented x it'd take me forever to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm honest it stops me falling a sleep of an evening. Nothing worse than waiting weeks for a programme and then falling a sleep 2 mins after it's started and waking up in time to see the credits.

      Delete
  4. Lovely, I love the colours, so much more stimulating for a baby xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping so. They are so used to me making the traditional whites + a colour that this one will probably take them bake a bit. I hope she is going to like it. Time will tell I suppose.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous x How long do they usually take you to do Mitzi? It would take me forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I started making the squares adhoc in July thinking I'd got plenty of time but then suddenly we were at the end of the summer, autumn was upon us and suddenly the weeks were starting to fly by. I tend to make a couple of squares each evening until I;ve got the required number with a bit of wiggle room in case I need to make a couple more squares to get the blanket to set right which is why I added in the parchment this time around. I've got about half the squares made up for the next one.

      Delete
  6. beautiful blanket, love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful blanket, love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Summer and thank you. Yes it has come up really well. The light in the evening isn;t very good so I may take another one at the weekend when I'm home during the hours of daylight and will hopefully get a better picture,

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love this, what a perfect give for an expectant mum.
    Just gorgeous.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping she is going to like it. I know the mother of this lady is also a knitter and crocheting mum so I'm sure she will be busy doing the more traditional new baby bits so thought I;d go for something a little different.

      Delete
  9. Fabulous, your colleague is going to be thrilled. I love the idea of giving an Elmer book with the blanket too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so there is one called colours which explains about how it's ok to be different in a child like way and I thought that would be a good one to go with it.

      Delete
  10. Hi, I've been following you on IG and only just realised it was you! Your blanket looks amazing. Thank you for popping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blanket is gorgeous - I have to admit that I'm all for the bright colours.
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those bright colours and the squares are so nicely made up. What a wonderful gift, I am sure the new mummy will be very happy with it x

    ReplyDelete