Pages

Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Summer Holidays week 5


What else do you do on a cold wet Monday in August?
Bake bread that your other half thinks you've popped to the bakers and bought, compliment in their somewhere I'm sure, and what else would you have with fresh baked bread but soup.
This is my vegetable soup that I usually hang on to make until September but as it was so cold and autumnal  there was nothing else for it. 


Recently I've heard of two very talented ladies who have sadly passed away.
Wink from a creative being blog back in June and Sarah from Yarn and whatnot blog only last week.
Both these ladies were only young and Sarah leaves a husband and five young children behind.
It is at times like these that I think about my own immortality and I start to think about all the things I still need to do for my children. I have a list of things I want to do so that they will always have a part of me with them long after I'm gone. I really need to start and tackle the things on the list as I am once again reminded that none us knows what's around the corner.
I am a bit of a hoarder of notebooks I have them for most things, keeping a record of the books I read, one for my crochet, knitting and cross stitch projects and there is even one in my handbag for shopping lists. 
These two however are to write down recipes I use. All three of the big kids can cook but I still get asked how to make a particular thing every now and then. This got me to thinking that I should start and write them down.  
Today I have made a start.....

Mx

14 comments:

  1. Your soup and bread tells the story of our summer. Your bread looks fantastic, do you make it by hand? I usually use my breadmaker to make the dough but then split it in to rolls and bake in the oven. It's always sad to hear of the death of someone, especially when they're so young and when children are involved, it certainly makes me remember to live for today, you never know what's round the corner. I've got a recipe book all ready to use, not a thing has been written in it yet though, I must get on and jot some things down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a breadmaker but it broke and I never replaced as there is not a lot of space in our kitchen, so this one was made by hand and I was quite amazed at how well it came out. I am definitely a person who has lots of ideas of things I want to do but it can take an age for me to actually get around to doing it. Hearing the news of Sarah last week who has a young family has galvanised me into action and I have at least made a start on writing the recipes down in the note books and I will keep on adding until they are full.

      Delete
  2. So sad to hear about people who pass away young. I also have plenty of notebooks and every now and then I have a cull, but writing things down is a way of keeping track of all we try and get done. I'm culling old magazine clippings at the moment and nobody wants to know how many there are.(lol). Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't realise how many you've got tucked away until you realise you can no longer shut the draw or cupboard door.

      Delete
  3. You cannot beat homemade soup n bread. It's a perfect thing. It's so sad when death arrives too soon. It's sad anyway, but even more cruel when it shouldn't really happen. Those poor children. But life is a swine as the world keeps turning. Live life for today is my
    Motto x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow will bring Autumn so there will definitely be lots of soup action going on in our house as well as stews and casseroles. Someone passing so young will always make you consider how much time you may have left.

      Delete
  4. It's always sad when someone so young dies. I remember attending a funeral with Mike for an old friend of his, I will forever be haunted by seeing the deceased persons young children there. I made soup at the weekend too, it really is the weather for it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember you mentioning Mike's friend in a post. Very sad. It's been pretty chilly again here today so with Autumn arriving there will definitely more soup in our house.

      Delete
  5. I have a love of notebooks as well. It is so sad when anyone dies, but more so when they die young isn't it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to confess as to how many notebooks I have stashed away. I have been adding more to the recipe books this week.

      Delete
  6. Sad news like that does make you appreciate every moment even more. I love your idea of a family recipe book for your children, something for them to treasure and use whilst you are still here too!!! and for many more decades to come hopefully! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I think they will go to my daughter at some stage but still lots to write in them first.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to read the sad news - it does make you think and appreciate each moment so much more.

    The weather here in the UK has not been good for summer. We have been enjoying winter type casseroles instead of salads - perhaps it may change over the Bank Holiday weekend?

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, welcome. Wish you'd found me on a happier note but I think there was a lot of people shocked at Sarah's passing both here and on IG. I have tried to cling on to summer foods this weekend but gave in tonight with a good old spag bol.

      Delete