Pages

Sunday, 9 August 2015

Summer holidays week 2


This week I have had a couple of days away from the office.

On Thursday I had a lovely day out with friends when we took ourselves off to the Festival of Quilts at the NEC Birmingham.

I rather fell in love with the mummy and her puppy quilt.
The Mad Hatters Tea Party just reminded me of our house when all the kids were at home.


As you can see there were lots of fantastic things to see in the exhibition

and of course I did come home with one or two purchases, well it would of been rude not to don't you  think.


Friday D, number 3 and I let the train take the strain and had a trip to Harrogate. I had never been before but had heard what a lovely town it is and it is all true.
Everyone I had mentioned our trip to had told me we had to go to Betty's Tea rooms. 
Unfortunately it was fully booked but we still had a lovely lunch at Hoopers. 
Number 3 was fascinated with this little door.


This week D and I have also celebrated being together 15 years
so inspired by the fact that the Great British Bake Off is back I decided I would
endeavor to bake a cake.  Cake baking is not my forte but I did manage to pull it off
with my version of Lorraine Pascale's I can't believe you made that cake, cake.
I've had lots of lovely comments already which is very nice but believe you me you can
hide an awful lot of imperfections with butter cream icing, a packet or two of Cadbury's fingers and a packet of Maltesers.
And suffice to say it did taste rather delish too.



So exhausted was I from my culinary exploits that an afternoon sitting in the garden with a cuppa, and some crocheting was most definitely in order.



I had been waiting for some news  from friends who are going to be grandparents for the second time in the New Year and this is what they sent me. 

So now I know exactly what blanket I will be making for this little one.

Right time for my second cuppa of the morning.

Have a lovely Sunday one & all.

Mx



12 comments:

  1. Great announcement from your friends! Congratulations on your own anniversary, that is so great and a cake is a delicious way to celebrate, especially one that looks as good as this!! Glad you had a good time at the quilt show, looks like you saw some fab things! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love Harrogate and have been to Betty's, though we didn't think the service was all that great. I've been to the one out at Harlow Carr and that was much better and I also loved the gardens there and hope to again when we visit next time. Of course I know Yorkshire quite well as I'm married to a Yorkshireman. Glad you enjoyed the quilt show and somewhere I'd love to get to (maybe, as I am a quilter!). Look forward to seeing what you crochet for new little one. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there any cake left ... it looks so good! Congratulations on your 15 year anniversary.

    The quilt show is always on my wish list, but I never actually get there. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations all around! Your anniversRy, your friend's news and your cake! Personally I think Betty's is a right rip off!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your 15 years together Mitzi and your cake is an absolute triumph - wish I'd been there to grab a slice! Have a great week. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your anniversary! The cake looks amazing, love the ribbon. I had photographs of the Birmingham Quilt show popping up all over Instagram this week, and have been just the teensiest bit jealous!! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to you both on your anniversary and to you on your magnificent cake baking, it looks wonderful.
    How sweet is that little door, I would be fascinated by it too.
    Harrogate is defintely somewhere I want to go.
    I like the blossom on the tree Alice is sat under. The poppies are also lovely.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all lovely ladies. Had a lovely couple of days off and made good use of both. The quilt show was amazing. I am not a quilter but it is on my things to learn one day list. I still came home with some more embroidery scissors (well you can never have enough can you) some beading needles as mine like to hide, and I treated myself to a new craft lamp. I've wanted a new one for ages as my last one had stopped working and as I am getting older the eyes are so good and I was finding I needed more light too when I am cross stitching. And lastly I picked up some more wool to add to the blanket I am making for my friends new grandchild. And lastly I picked up a cross stitch chart to make for my friend who does lots of sewing machine bits for me so I am making her a cross stitch in return. She doesn't know about it yet so I know she will be really pleased when she gets it. Harrogate was lovely and I now don't feel so bad about Betty's having read your comments. I'm not sure number 3 would of coped if they had put all sorts of garnish with his sandwich. Hoopers did us just fine and he enjoyed his Cheese sandwich on white no garnish and some curly chips just like he'd asked for. I've not seen too many pics on instagram but I'm sure they are there and there will be more to follow I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your anniversary - your cake looks great! I also wanted to say that I really like your new header picture. If that's your garden..... it's beautiful! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous cake, congratulations on your 15th anniversary. Those quilts are fabulous, I like the the mum and puppy quilt and the Mad Hatter's Tea Party one too. Harrogate is a lovely town, glad you enjoyed your day there but what a shame about Betty's. It can be rather pricey but they do lovely things, it's always very busy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your anniversary your cake looks divine xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank You Jo, Jo and Jan. Yes we had a lovely time in Harrogate and I'm sure we will get the opportunity to go again. We have one or two trips still to go over the summer. The Quilt festival was fantastic. I would like to try and get to the knit and stitch at Harrogate this year but will have to see how that pans out. Thank you for all your comments on my cake. I'm not a cake baker but do like to have a go every now and then and I was determined this one was not going to beat me.

    ReplyDelete