Pages

Monday, 6 July 2015

Standing on the shoulders of giants


1983 £1

Where does this saying come from and what is it's significance to the above two pound coin?

It was taken from a letter written in 1676 by Sir Isaac Newton to his fellow scientist Robert Hooke acknowledging the debt he owed other scientists - 'if I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants'.  As with all two pound coins they have an inscription to the edge and 'Standing on the shoulder's of giants' was added to the coin in 1997 



Thursday D and I had a rare day off together and whilst our youngest was in school decided to have an even rarer day out just the two of us.  Nothing grand you understand, but when you have a son with autism it is nice to do something that is outside of his latest obsession which at the moment is his iPad, Burger King and train spotting. 

We chose to visit the ancestral home of Sir Isaac Newton, Woolthorpe Manor. It was a lovely sunny day but not as hot as it had been on Wednesday. Don't get me wrong I would rather it were sunny than raining but Wednesday was a little overbearing especially as I was shut up in a stuffy office. We had a lovely visit and the staff were very knowledgeable and I think we both learnt a few things apart from the fact that it was here that Isaac Newton discovered gravity when an apple fell from this very tree.



We enjoyed a nice lunch of Gloucester Old Spot Pulled Pork at the Chomeley Arms in Burton Le Coggles. So full were we that we didn't even have room for a desert. To which anyone who knows me well would know this to be unheard of.  The staff were very accommodating as we hadn't booked but still managed to find us a table none the less. The Cholmeley Arms sits within the Eason Estate which has an old walled garden open to visitors. We didn't visit this trip but maybe when we find a day to escape again we can make it our next trip out which also means we could return to the Cholmeley Arms for lunch and maybe leave just enough room for a desert next time.




Having had such a lovely day out on Thursday it was nice to round the day off with another surprise. The release of the latest Amanda Prowse novel. It was sat waiting for me on our return delivered as promised on it's release date.  I am a big fan of Amanda Prowse novels and have read everything she has published. Perfect Daughter is her eighth novel in her No Greater Love Series.  Perfect daughter is Jacks story. She is a wife, mother and carer to her elderly mother with Alzheimer's. She was going to be a successful career women, with the freedom to travel the world. Only life seem to have other ideas and her dreams were put on hold long ago. Of course with it's arrival it meant a queue jumper as there was no way I could leave it sitting on the bookshelf until I had worked my way through all those residing there before it arrived. So far I am just over 100 pages in and not disappointed. 



But before I go I will just remind you all that I will pick the winner for my anniversary giveaways this Sunday 12th July. so if you haven't already done so and wish to take part you can do so by leaving me a comment here, even if you don't normally comment but just like to visit don't be shy it's always nice to say hello to new followers. 


                     Have a lovely week one & all and I will be back on Sunday
                                                    with the names of the lucky winners.

                                     Mx

18 comments:

  1. What a lovely day out, it's nice to do things just as a twosome sometimes. Mick's got the day off work tomorrow as it's our silver wedding anniversary so we're hoping that the weather's nice and that we can get out somewhere ourselves. I've had Perfect Daughter delivered to my Kindle too, but as I've only read the first book in the series so far, it can wait until I catch up. The problem is that there's just so many good books I want to read that it may take some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite quote seems to be at the moment too many good books and do I have enough years left to read them all. Hope you and Mick had a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful day out! I too am always gutted when I've not got room for pudding! I need to get back into reading. I've not really got a favourite author at the minute, Stephen King is my perma fave but I could do with a new page turner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished the Amanda Prowse book last night. May have to re-read the last couple of pages as I was at the point of nodding off whilst reading but I was determined to get to the end. It was very good but then I expected nothing else from the penmanship of Ms Prowse. I usually skip a starter in order to leave room for a desert but we had had breakfast too before we left which was a sausage bap so that probably didn't leave enough room for the desert did it.

      Delete
  3. How lovely to have a day out together and enjoy just being with each other with no one asking for your attention. And a nice lunch out too makes the day even better.
    Hope the book carries on being such a good read.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect daughter was excellent I like the fact that she writes about real issues that can affect any one of us at some stage in our lives. Yes it was a lovely day out and we plan to do it again after the summer hols.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a lovely day out, Mike & I always try & go out somewhere together if it's just the two of us x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a rarity to just be the two of us and it was nice not to be worrying about whether people were staring at Adam, as people do and he is at an age where he notices and it does upset him and then you find yourself explaining to people when why should you have to.

      Delete
  5. It sounds as if you had a perfect day! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Jan and now that you are on count down to freedom I'm sure you will be coming up with a list of things to do with your hubby.

      Delete
  6. That certainly sounds like a great day out and one which I'm sure we'd love. The pulled pork sounds nice. Hope you enjoy your new book and I'm part through one at the moment called "Dewey" by Vicki Myron and am thoroughly enjoying. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day out and the book was excellent finished it last night.

      Delete
  7. A day out away from the office must have been a welcome break. I like the name Burton le Coggles and looking at the collage I think it must be a pretty place. The arrival of the book you ordered on the same day added to the pleasure. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a lovely day out the pie horse was funny he kept turning away from us but would then have a quick look round to see if we were still there. The book was great. finished it last night.

      Delete
  8. Glad you made the most of your day together - Woolsthorpe Manor is in such a beautiful spot isn't it? Sounds like a great lunch too!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely so thank you for sharing your day out there as it then gave me the idea for our day out as it's not too far from our son's school just down the A1 so we didn't have to rush. We'd like to go to Eason Gardens at some point but that can be another day of escaping.

      Delete
  9. That's looks like such a lovely day out Mitzi and the lunch sounds amazing! I haven't read any Amanda Prowse but now I feel that I must. It's a special thing when you find an author and think 'yes! I need to read everything you write!' Maggie O'Farrell has that effect on me. I'm glad you got a day out just you and D, it's a rare and special thing isn't it! X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had a day out together, I had no idea there were inscriptions on £2 coins, I will start looking out for them now! X

    ReplyDelete