Pages

Sunday, 19 July 2015

July Make or Bake & other ramblings


First things first. 
Thank you for all the lovely comments you left about my baby blankets. I'm sorry I've not had a chance to reply but it has been devilish busy at work this last couple of weeks with lots of early starts and late finishes, occasionally not getting back through the front door until past eight in the evening. 

Last month I made a Gary Rhodes desert and Penny from   The Homemade Heart  mentioned a Gary Rhodes recipe she uses to make Lemon Posset.  I've never made this desert so eagerly looked through my Gary Rhodes books to see if I had it.  Of course it was the one recipe that wasn't in any of the three Gary Rhodes books that I own.  Not to be deterred I went on good old google and up popped a recipe for  Lemon Posset by James Martin. His recipe also includes a recipe for lemon shortbread to accompany the desert.   So I set about making this lovely summery desert and just as Penny had said it was a simple recipe and smelled delicious but as they say the proof is in the pudding.                                            



Sometimes by early evening and the tide is in the winds can get up across the fens and by early evening it can get a little too breezy to eat al fresco but not yesterday.



So just to show you Penny Lemon Posset with lemon shortbread and yes it tasted just as delicious as you said it would.

Now I will let you into a little secret here.
Number 3 son can be a little picky with new foods but will at least taste if in the right mood, (anyone would think I was trying to poison him).

We had been sitting in the garden most of the afternoon when he appeared and inquired 'what is the lemony thing in the fridge'.  I explained it was desert for mum and dad and that he had his usual favourite. I didn't pay any attention to it at the time until I bought the deserts out  




and as you can see there is a little finger mark in the middle of one of them. 
It did make me smile.  
I returned to the table and this time I inquired 'how did you know the deserts were lemon' he looked at me and said 'I smelt it' 'oh'  I said 'so the these little finger marks don't belong to you then' to which he replied 'well you always tell me it's good to try new things'.  Needless to say he decided he would stick with his usual preference of desert a yogurt whilst D and I enjoyed our Lemon Posset very much even with the addition of a finger mark or two in mine. So thanks Penny for the recommendation and it will definitely be something I make again. 

 Meanwhile what has been happening around The Willows!


'Every man's island, Jean Louise, every man's watchman, is his conscience.'

Well unless you have been down a deep well this last week you will of heard all the hype around the release of the Harper Lee novel Go Set a Watchman .  I read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' at school and again last year as part of my return to school reads.  It remains one of my all time favourites and I was in too minds whether to read it again before the release of 'Go Set a Watchman'.
I got home on Tuesday evening and there as promised was my copy sitting waiting for me as promised by Amazon.
I have been very good and finished the book I was reading at the time 


Still Alice which is another brilliant novel by Lisa Genova and has also been made into a film starring Julianne Moore.  A definite recommendation if you are off on your hols.
But I digress

I started Go Set a Watchman on Friday and so far it has been every bit as good as I thought it would be. This novel is about Jean Louise (Scout) as an adult and the changes that have come about over the years since we first met Atticus and his family in to Kill a Mockingbird. You are introduced to a lot of the original characters such as Henry Clinton and Aunt Alexandra. I now just have the last 100 pages to go so I'm hoping mother nature will be kind and blow the clouds that seem to be looming outside this morning away and let the sun come out so that I can sit in my garden and loose myself in my reading.



Speaking of the garden we have been having lots of bumble visiting the flowers gathering their nectar.

I love watching them buzzing around and they do seem to have taken quite a fancy to the passionflowers this year.


And not forgetting my other love.
The flutterbies (as my eldest used to call them) are back for another summer of  feeding on the Buddleia I could sit and watch them all day.

Right time for a cuppa

Have a lovely week one & all and never fear even if I don't get the opportunity to comment I will be keeping a close eye on what you are all getting up to.

Mx





16 comments:

  1. The lemon posset and lemon shortbread looks delicious, even with finger marks. At least he tried it, getting Daniel to try new things when he was young was a major task. I'm glad to read that you're enjoying the new Harper Lee book. I was in two minds whether to read it or not as I enjoyed To Kill A Mockingbird so much, I didn't want this book to spoil it for me. It's had so many bad reviews, which I was expecting. Apparently, Harper Lee wrote this book before To Kill A Mockingbird and it got rejected by the publishers, To Kill A Mockingbird was her reworked story. She always said she wouldn't publish another book as there was only one way to go after To Kill A Mockingbird with it being so successful, I just wonder if she actually had a say in this new book being published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very nice and definitely something I will make again. I have the last 20 pages of the Harper Lee book to read. It is good and I have spent all weekend reading it when other demands were not made of my time. Out of the two I would say I prefer To Kill A Mockingbird but then I think I am a bit biased towards that one as it is one of my favourite books, but I have loved reading Go Set A Watchman.

      Delete
  2. I loved To Kill a Mocking Bird but last read it about 20 years ago, so all the latest hype had prompted me to re-read it. I'm not sure whether to read the new Harper Lee book or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to re-read To Kill A Mockingbird again prior to the release of Go Set A Watchman but ran out of time. Actually it didn't make any difference as you pick up the characters in Go Set A Watchman pretty easily. I'm really enjoying it and have the last 20 pages to go.

      Delete
  3. Your dessert looks lovely, even with "dents". I'm not sure whether I've read To Kill a Mocking Bird or not, but as my reading hasn't been good lately, I'll leave it with you and Jo to tell me what you believe is OK and then think about it. I've just borrowed a Marcia Willett novel and also one by Gervaise Phinn from the library, but now think I've already read the one by Marcia. I've just about finished Dewey. but know that I'm getting close to the sad part and keep putting off picking it up. Maybe a bit of reading and then some sewing tonight. Hope your weekend stays sunny and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you found some time to catch up on your reading even if it did require a large box of tissues and chocolate to help you get through the sad bit. I have done a little more on my cross stitch yesterday but it's at a fiddley bit of the chart on the fairies wing and is alot of blended colours which is not good on my ever deteriorating old eyes.

      Delete
  4. A great new dish! I love anything lemoney!! Never mind sticking my fingers in, I would have just stuck a spoon in!!! Hee hee!! Beautiful flowers! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D said it was definitely one I should make again which is unusual as he's not a big desert eater but soon polished his off.

      Delete
  5. I missed your baby blanket post but they both look adorable & are sure to be well received. Your puddings look wonderful, I adore lemon in anything. Your story reminded me of my youngest a few years back who always thought he disliked cheesecake. I had made a rather nice chocolate one & left it in the fridge to chill. Needless to say he thought it was chocolate mousse cake & it had ridges all the way round where he had scraped his fingers against it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For someone with ASD I thought he reflected the fact he'd stuck his finger in quite well by reminding me that I always tell him he should try new things. I think I would have preferred it if he had used a spoon though.

      Delete
  6. Lemon posset and shortbread sounds delicious. I can't decide whether or not to read the new Harper Lee book, so far I'm not leaning towards it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's had so much hype hasn't it. I have really enjoyed it and I'm down to the last 20 pages now so will have it finished by tonight. Out of the two I prefer to Kill a Mockingbird but then it is one of my all time favourites so it would have had to have gone some to beat it. But it is still worth reading.

      Delete
  7. There has been an awful lot on the radio about the new HL book. I must admit I have never read TKAMB, it's on my bookshelf and I will get to it one day though!
    The lemon tasting shenanigans of your son did make me giggle!
    The dessert looked delicious I'm not surprised he was tempted and those shortbread biscuits looked like they had been baked to perfection too.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been really good and I have almost finished it and have enjoyed it. Out of the two Mockingbird is my favourite but is worth reading.
      The lemon posset was very nice and it is one I would definitely make again and the shortbread just finished it off nicely.

      Delete
  8. Mmm, my favourite dessert as you know!! I am sure the James Martin recipe will be very similar/identical to the Gary Rhodes one. Looks lovely. Lemon shortbread to finish it off, yum! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found three - four different recipes all except good old Gary's. They were all more or less the same give or take an fl oz. Was definitely a hit anyway so thank you for recommending it and I will be making it again before too long.

      Delete