Pages

Sunday, 21 June 2015

Thank you Mr Kerridge


Well looking at the comments I was left last week about feeling like the hamster on the wheel it would appear I am not the only one, but you still left lots of lovely comments.  Yes this week has been a little easier and I have managed to get home before the suns goes down.

Today is Father's day here in the UK so just want to wish all the dad's out there a happy father's day.  D is still fast a sleep having a well deserved lie in. 

So why is the title of my post Thank you Mr Kerridge?  Well I don't know about anyone else but I can get very bored with food.  I eat a varied diet, D & number 3 on the other hand do not.  For number 3 that is down to his autism and bless him when I am cooking he will ask to try something but then once it's ready to serve he can change his mind in an instant.  D has got better in the 15 years we have been together. He didn't eat any other meat than pork when I met him and definitely no fish,  This has changed over the years and he will eat some fish and now includes chicken as well as pork.  Trouble being that he goes to the butchers and we do tend to end up with an awful lot of chicken to the point where I start to feel as though I am about to sprout wings and start scratching the earth and clucking.  Yesterday we had decided to have a pre father's day meal as if the weather holds we may go out later today.  I had got the chicken breasts out of the freezer and was sat with one or two cook books looking for inspiration whilst watching Saturday Morning Kitchen. During the program that Tom Kerridge had a slot and shared his recipe for Lush lemon pepper chicken. My little ears pricked up and I grabbed a pen and paper and made a note of the ingredients required all of which it turned out were in my store cupboard or fridge.   



having sourced a main that just left a pudding.



It's a while since I have looked through my Gary Rhodes books. I have both the Spring-Summer and Autumn - Winter from his Cookery Year series.  At one time he never seemed to be off our screens showing us how to make delicious foods and I did get some great tips from Mr Rhodes.


I decided to go with his soft chocolate pudding

and here are the results.



Lush lemon and black pepper chicken



and soft chocolate pudding served with gorgeous clotted cream ice cream




So that is why my post is titled Thank you Mr Kerridge for giving me the inspiration to create a lovely meal.
D told a friend it was the best meal he had had in ages. 
I'm not sure whether that was a compliment or not.

And as I hadn't made either of these recipes before it also ticks my June make or bake challenge.

If you want to have ago at Tom's recipe you can click on this link Lush lemon and pepper chicken you won't be disappointed and it is one that will definitely be enjoyed again in our house.
And this is the link to the  Soft Chocolate Pudding.

Have a lovely fathers day if you are spending it with yours.

Right time to see if D would like a cup of tea in bed.


Mx











12 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like a delicious meal. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a fussy husband, there were so many things Mick wouldn't eat when we first met, including vegetables, but he's got much better over the years. I think the turning point re veggies was when I got my allotment, there aren't many vegetables he won't eat now. Daniel's always been fussy too but even he eats so much better now that he's at university, he seems to like so many more things now. Eleanor's like me, she's a good eater and doesn't turn her nose up at much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was ever so tasty and definitely one I will make again. I think the marinade would go well with Pork too. D has got better over the years. At one time he took over the cooking as he works from home but you could generally tell what day of the week we were on by what came to the table. Since we moved to the Fens I have taken over again which was great when the big kids were still at home as they ate anything, more of a challenge now it's just the three of us.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for pointing out the recipes. They sound perfect for this household. My son is king of fussy eaters! If only I'd had shares in Nutella! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine still love Nutella as adults and I have to say I do put it in anything that requires chocolate.

      Delete
  3. My HG loves Tom Kerridge and I've cooked a few of his dishes. All turned out well. Like you though, we loved Gary Rhodes first! Got all his books and his vanilla ice cream s the only one I make

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rediscovering my recipe books. They were hidden away for a while after we moved and now I'm finding lots of nice things to make again. I have three Gary Rhodes books and I had forgotten what great recipes are in them. I did like the Tom Kerridge chicken though. I don't have any of his books so that might be one for the christmas list.

      Delete
  4. Your meal looks delightful, Mitzi! The chocolate pudding sounds so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both were yummy but I did enjoy the chicken more out of the two.

      Delete
  5. I sympathise on the 'awkward eaters in the family' front, I usually end up cooking three and sometimes four different dinners, and regard a night where we all have the same as a minor miracle. Even then if it's pasta (one of the few things everyone will eat) I will make at least two sauces and one veggie version for me. One of my all time favourite recipes comes from Gary Rhodes, for lemon posset. I have made it so many times over the years and it is so delicious and so easy X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I know that feeling well. I like creamy sauces with Pasta and D and Adam like tomato so I usually end up compromising or making one of each. I thin the lemon posset is in one of my Gary Rhodes books I will have to have a little look see especially if it is that easy.

      Delete
  6. It's always a gamble doing something new but it really paid off for you this time and both meals look very tasty indeed. Although I have to say it's the dessert I favour!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ordinarily I have a very sweet tooth but that chicken was absolutely delicious so it would be the winner for me this occasion.

      Delete