Pages

Thursday, 4 June 2015

500 Words 2015


Here in the UK we have a very cheeky chappy called Chris Evans. He is best known for his BBC Radio 2 breakfast show and his appearances on BBC 1's 
The One Show. 
In 2010 he  helped to launch a competition for children aged from 5-13 years called  500 Words. 
500 Words invites children under 13 years to write and submit a story.
 These stories are judged in two categories 5-9 years and 10-13 years. 
I believe they had over 4000 entries this year. Each story was read by a team of teachers and librarians and from the 4000 entries the top 50 stories were picked. 
These top 50 authors are then invited to the final which is broadcast live on
 Radio 2. 
In the past they have taken place as part of the Hay Festival but this year they had a very special invitation when they were invited by Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall to St. Jame's Palace.  The final took place last Friday 29th May and the top three stories in each of the two categories were awarded a medal. 

If you didn't get to hear any of the final or you had not heard of this competition before I urge you to go to the website here and see the winners. You won't be disappointed and for a couple you will need to have your tissue at the ready. 
It is such an inspiration that we have such talented young people and if they are writing this type of story now what are they going to be able to produce in the future, 


I have three books to recommend to you from those I read last month.
  1. The Forgotten Garden   - Kate Morton
  2. The Girl on the Train - Paul Hawkins
  3.  The Missing Half - Brooke Powley
The links above take you across to my post on my Tea & Biscuits & a Good Book blog.
All I will say is that for at least two of them you will require  large box of Kleenex and  chocolate. 


My return to my childhood read this month is Follyfoot by Monica Dickens. I loved  this series of books as a child.  For anyone in their golden years you may also remember that there was a TV series made based on this series of books.

After the wind and rain of the beginning of the week today seems to be a bit brighter. Here's hoping that Mother Nature has finally realised we are in JUNE!!!!

Have a lovely weekend one & all

Mx





15 comments:

  1. Down in a meadow where the wind blows free, In the middle of a field stands a lightening tree. I remember Follyfoot as my sister loved that programme, I've never read the book though. I've got The Girl On The Train waiting to read on my Kindle. We've got a nice day here too but we're forecast rain again for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it:-) Monica Dickens wrote a series of books all about Follyfoot and the horses that lived on the farm. The Girl on the Train was very good, I think you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I also have the Girl on the Train on my kindle - ready to read on holiday. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you will be disappointed Sara I thought it was a very good read especially as it's Paula Hawkins first attempt at fiction.

      Delete
  3. I like the sound of The Forgotten Garden, I have an unused Kindle somewhere. I might have to dig it out to download the odd sneaky book purchase x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth it. Not all books are cheaper on a kindle some are around the same price as you would pay in the supermarket but they do have quite good sales where you can pick up books for £1 and if you put books in your wish list at the full price you can check every so often and it will tell you if any have reduced in price since you put them into your wish list. My only trouble is I have so many in my wish list and I keep adding more.

      Delete
  4. I love Chris Evans. He is such a happy, cheeky guy who lost it all and worked to get it back. Will pop over to read the stories x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to him every morning on the way into the office and it sets me up for the day especially on a Friday when he plays Bring Me Sunshine:-)

      Delete
  5. I think that it is a great competition to inspire children to read and write and hopefully as you say, to go on to become great authors!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was certainly blown away by the imagination used to write the stories. I think my favourites were Blue and The Word that wouldn't come out.

      Delete
  6. I listened live to the 500 words and some of our children at work were shortlisted so that was a thrill! It's the best competition in the country!
    I've just bought Jambusters for my kindle. But am currently on Book 2 of the Game of Thrones.
    I recently re read my old childhood faves Little House series and then my friend bought me the torrid Flowets in the Attic series! It's like I'm 14 again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to some of it on the way into the office but missed the last two or three so listened to them all again on catch up and loved Blue and The word that wouldn't come out. And I did laugh at the one about the nits.... How fantastic that some of your kids were short listed that's brilliant. I bet they are already thinking about a story for next year too. I have Jambusters on my wish list. And I've looked at Game of Thrones a number of times but not downloaded any yet. They did have the complete set in The Works. I loved the Little House series too.

      Delete
  7. I'm not sure I ever watched Follyfoot but I can remember the them tune.
    Angel Gem has given the GOTT book a good review. I read the FG one with book club,not the happiest of endings but a good read.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good and worth a read. Sometimes when books get such hyped reviews that you will be left disappointed but I wasn't on this occasion. I do like Kate Morton books. I have one more to read Distant Hours before her next one is released in the Autumn.

      Delete
    2. It was very good and worth a read. Sometimes when books get such hyped reviews that you will be left disappointed but I wasn't on this occasion. I do like Kate Morton books. I have one more to read Distant Hours before her next one is released in the Autumn.

      Delete