Pages

Monday, 4 May 2015

Ta Dah moment

                                             


As you will all remember I set myself a challenge this year to pick up cross stitch again.  I used to always have something on the hoop but that seems to have dropped off in recent years. This is mainly due to time but I decided that my Sundays would become Cross Stitch Sunday and so began my return to stitching.

I started The Dark Sorceress around Christmas and have been stitching away most Sundays and any other free moments where I could.  I finally put the last stitch in yesterday and now she has been washed and pressed and is ready to go for framing.  But now here is my dilemma.  This chart is part of Magical Cross Stitch and there are two other cross stitches The Earth Goddess & The Fairy Queen. My intention is to stitch these two as well but it will take me sometime to finish all three, especially as I ordered the evenweave fabric to start the next one only to realise yesterday that I ordered the wrong colour.  We have framers in our village and I know they will do a fantastic job but my dilemma is do I get The Dark Sorceress framed now or do I wait until all three have been completed.  I did even toy with the idea of having them framed as a triptych but now I have seen how big she is I don't think that would work in terms of wall space in a very small cottage.  


                                

Meanwhile I decided I would start another project whilst I am deciding what to do and whilst trying to track down a piece of eveweave in the right size and colour.  


                                 

This is what my latest project will eventually look like (the blue cushion) I may even give the throw ago afterwards as it's such an easy pattern.  I like the white cushion too so maybe I will give that one ago as well. Decisions, decisions.

Here in the UK it's a bank holiday weekend (no work today) unfortunately the weather has not been very kind, blowing a hooley and raining. 
I hope it's been a little kinder wherever you are.

Mx


21 comments:

  1. I'm in awe of your cable work Mitzi! It's stunning! The cross stitch is beautiful, what a lot of work! Honestly, I'd get on and frame it and put it up. You'll get a good feel for it that way and it will spur you on with the others. I vote frame it :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Thankfully I don't have to decide immediately. I can't believe I ordered the wrong colour fabric to start the second one still lesson learnt. Still my knitting will keep me busy in the interim.

      Delete
  2. Your cushion is going to be lovely. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to make it, nor the skill to even think about the throw!
    The day started sunny here - but it was short-lived Thank goodness I got outside to enjoy it though. Enjoy the rest of your day. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We managed a couple of hours this afternoon but it's gone a little windy again tonight. I've been cabling for about thirty years so it's second nature to me but I can still be floored by a sock on three needles.

      Delete
  3. Your knitting is wonderful, love the chunkiness of cable stiches. It all looks very cosy.
    Good luck with your decision making re the picture. I suppose you could hold on until you have stitched another and see how they look together, they may help you decide?
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I don't have to decide immediately.

      Delete
  4. Your cable work is mighty fine! I might do some cabling next, I do love it but it stresses me out and I become a right demon to live with when m doing one!! NOBODY TALK TO ME IM DOING COMPLICATED KNITTING HERE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to be in your house at that point :-)

      Delete
  5. Your cross stitch is beautiful, what a lot of hard work you've put in to that. I would probably wait to get it framed until I'd completed all three but then I'm a bit of a ditherer. What a lovely cushion you're making, I love cable patterns. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to make the throw though. It's a lovely day here today, I've been out in just a t shirt but it was a terrible day yesterday, lots of rain and cold too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It brightened up here this afternoon enough for us to sit out for a couple of hours.

      Delete
  6. Hi Mitzi, love your goddess, the colours are so vibrant. Really lovely. Do you mind sharing a reference for the pattern you are knitting? I really like the look of it, and have been itching for a knitting project. I have never tried cables before but if you say it's not too hard I could maybe give it a try X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny not at all. It's a Sirdar pattern book called Arans for living book number 276 And I've checked the Sirdar website and it's still in print. The other place to look is Garn Studio's who have free drops design patterns and they also have cable cushions some of which have cabling. Cabling is all about moving stitches backwards and forwards using a cable needle and the abbreviations are pretty well explained. Look forward to seeing how you get on.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Mitzi, I will look for the pattern book x

      Delete
  7. Wow, the cross stitch is just mind blowing. Well done!!! I'm doing some knitting too at the moment, but as we are having intermittent internet problems, not sure I can blog about it and with the move not far away now, I'll probably just pop into my favourite blogs for the time being. Your weather sounds just like ours at the moment, cold, wet and windy. For us winter seems to be here already. Hope your long weekend was a good one and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan exciting times a head for you with the move not far away. Knitting is coming along. I am about 3/4 through the front of my cushion now and I have also started another crochet project. The long weekend was lovely we just chilled out and even managed to sit in the garden for a couple of hours before the rain came back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cross stitch is gorgeous.. I love the detail on her dress. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan she is quite stunning. I think I may even have found the right size & colour evenweave to be able to start one of her sister projects but this time I have ordered two pieces so that I have enough to do both of the remaining set. Lesson learned.

      Delete
  10. Your Dark Sorceress cross stitch is lovely Mitzi, don't leave her too long unframed, she deserves to be proudly hung on the wall. I love your cable knitting, just the job on a day like this, it's awful here today. Enjoy the rest of your week.
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. I have at last tracked down the right size and colour evenweave so hopefully if that arrives before the weekend I shall be starting the next one this Sunday. The weather has been pretty awful here to. I think somebody needs to remind mother nature that we in fact in May.

      Delete
  11. Your cross stitching is stunning! And I love the cushion - I was going to ask which pattern it is but I can see someone has already done this. Look forward to seeing the finished article
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completed the front and have now started the back but that is moss stitch. Yes the details are on my reply to Penny.

      Delete