Pages

Sunday, 10 May 2015

Another week over

L
'

In amongst the wind and the rain we did get a brief interlude of sunshine and spent a couple of hours sitting in the garden watching the birds find the new feeder we've put up.
The Blue Tit family are thriving in my neighbours nesting box. They tell me the box has been up there over twenty years and to their knowledge this is the first time they have had Blue Tits nesting in it.


I have a pretty long drive to work everyday and yes sometimes it's a drag but just at the moment there is lots to see and if I am lucky I have my camera with me and the time to stop.



Speaking of work I needed to go out this weekend to purchase a new pair of sensible shoes for work.
D calls them my policewomen shoes, but when you work in a hospital with 27 miles of corridors and your office is not on the same floor as the wards you are attached to it makes sense to me to have a pair of shoes that are comfortable. Besides I generally wear trousers, again for comfort, so who is going to be looking at my feet.
They are from a company called hotter, they do a lot more modern shoes and boots too but I have to tell you so far they are the most comfortable shoes I have owned in a long time and I will definitely be looking at their website for a pair of boots for the winter.



WIP's well I have now completed the front of my cushion and have started on the back.  The back is moss stitch so not quite so taxing on the grey matter.  I have been asked what pattern this is from.  It is a Sirdar book called Living with Aran Book number 276 and I have checked their website and it is still available. There are also a lot of free patterns available Garn Studio and they have some cable cushion patterns to download.



Having completed the The Dark Sorceress I finally managed to track down the right size and colour evenweave which arrived yesterday I have been able to start my next project The Fairy Queen. I am working on the middle section.


I have also completed my return to my childhood read for May.
I can remember my mother reading Rikki-Tikki Tavi to me when I was a child. I was always a lot shorter than my peers and I think my mother read this story to me to instil in me that it doesn't matter how small you are you can still achieve great things if you put your mind to it.


And speaking of books if you are looking for a good read over the next Bank Holiday weekend I would highly recommend The last days of Rabbit Hayes it is brilliantly written and although it is about a women with a terminal illness coming to the end of her journey it is written with such sensitivity and good old Irish humour that you won't be left feeling sad.

Well that's all from me I hope you've all had a good weekend 

Mx





14 comments:

  1. I will definitely look out for your book recommendation - it's great to read something with a slightly different theme. Do you know how many miles you walk at work each week? Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how many miles I walk in a week. Some colleagues have those pedometers that count how many steps you make over a period of time. May be I should try one and look at the result at the end of the week.

      Delete
  2. Stop recommending books, the ones you do recommend are always so good so I can't resist putting them on my wish list and I've got far too many on my Kindle already. I have to say though, I've just looked this up on Amazon and it sounds right up my street, I think we enjoy similar books. I had a nest box up for quite a few years in my garden, there were no takers and it eventually rotted this winter so we took it down. I bought a new box, put it in a different position and within a fortnight had some bluetits checking it out. They've nested in it and I'm enjoying watching them coming and going. My sister was a nurse and I remember she always had a particular style of shoe which she wore for work. Anything comfortable seems to go these days. I shall check out the company you mention as I definitely need a new pair of boots next winter. Your cushion is looking fab and glad you managed to find the evenweave you needed, there'll be no stopping you now with The Fairy Queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the only problem isn't it you just keep adding more to the wish list. I do go through mine once a month as sometimes if a book starts off at £5 when you add it to the wish list when you check it again it may have reduced by half for a limited time and that's when I succumb to buying it hence why I end up with so many on the kindle waiting to be read. I can tell you the granny shoes are very comfortable and I will be visiting the website to look at what else they have.

      Delete
  3. Your cross stitch is beautiful!!!! I love your cushion front too. It is so important to have good shoes at any time, but if you have to walk a lot at work even more important isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes are definitely doing the job. I hate buying shoes at the best of times I am no Imelda Marcos I just like them to fit well and be comfortable. Gone are the days of high heels I just can't wear them for long periods anymore.

      Delete
  4. I had Hotter shoes for work too, when I was nursing. I find ecco shoes good too, and although expensive, they last for years. I can't bear uncomfortable shoes! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have to have comfort these days rather than fashion. I can't cope with high heels any more for long periods. I look at some of the shoes my daughter wears and I don't think I would be able to walk in them never mind wear them on a night out.

      Delete
  5. Everyone is posting bluebell photos and making me quite jealous, as I love your bluebell woods. Aaah! The cushion is looking good and I will have to admit to loving aran patterns, but I'm still in awe of your cross stitch. Sensible clothes are for me these days too as I just like to be comfortable. I'm on the short side too, and am sure sometimes, they think everyone is either average or above average in height, especially some things in Supermarkets, where I've had to ask for help.(giggle). Hope you have a good week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you have some lovely blooms to that wouldn't survive over here. The cushion front is all finished and I'm now on the back which is moss stitch I have been trying to do so many rows everyday. For some reason it always seems to take longer than knitting the cable stitches. Finding clothes that fit has got better over the years I used to dread going to get new clothes because I knew everything would be far too long for me. I have been known to borrow someone's very tall husband in supermarkets before now. I do give them back again.

      Delete
  6. Comfort is very important! I spend hours on my feet on reception and so I can understand the need for something comfortable.
    You new cross stitch looks like a very slinky figured fairy, love the colours.
    Have a good week.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely.

      I don't think I ever had a figure like that.

      Delete
  7. Such a great post, I loved the spring pictures and, at the grand old age of 44, I can appreciate comfortable shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josie and welcome to Lazy Days & Sundays at Willow Cottage. Spring seems to be taking a long time arrive in the Fens this year although things do seem to be flowering or attempting to at long last. The comfortable shoes are proving to be worth the money paid.

      Delete