Pages

Monday, 16 March 2015

Peregrine Falcon Update

Almost exactly a month ago now I introduced you to the Peregrine Falcons who are nesting near to my office. 




Over the last four weeks there has been a lot of activity around the nesting site and we have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of an egg. 
The female has been eating a lot of the grit which I am assuming is a bit like chickens (don't they eat a lot of grit or something to help harden the shells of the eggs). 

Several times she has looked like she was about to perform only to then change her mind and fly off.





To my surprise yesterday when I logged on look what was sitting in the nesting box and on Mothering Sunday's of all days. 




then by lunchtime today there were two


My understanding is they usually have two or four (last year she hatched and raised four)




The male hadn't been around too much today


But he did bring her a mouse to share this afternoon

The female is still tooing and frowing and I am led to believe won't start to properly incubate until she has laid her last egg but there is at last something happening and I am already so excited.

I think it's now a case of watch this space.


Mx

16 comments:

  1. Loving your posts about the Peregrine falcons, and as you probably realise, I love birds of prey. Looking forward to the next instalment. Thanks and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find them absolutely fascinating. Still only the two eggs this morning.

      Delete
  2. Oh how wonderful. What a tasty morsel he presented her with!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching them. I have them on in the corner of my screen so I can keep an eye on what they get up to. Hence why the pics are a bit grainy as I then have to take a photo with my iPad to show you. It has to be said he didn't give her much of the mouse before hightailing it away with most of it to have for himself. Either that or her cravings aren't for mouse at the moment but I didn't see him bring her anything else.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating. I didn't realise that she wouldn't start sitting on her eggs straight away. I thought they would get cold if she didn't keep them warm all the time. These are great photo's, we will all be watching with great interest! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try not to turn into a Peregrine bore but I find them really fascinating to watch. She has been sitting on them at intervals but not constantly so whether she will have more I'm not sure. She moves them around the nest with her feet turning them as she goes. Will keep you posted on progress.

      Delete
  4. So exciting! :) Looking forward to seeing their progress. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm bad enough now checking that the eggs are ok and that mum and dad keep coming back I'll be even more obsessed when the eggs hatch.

      Delete
  5. How lovely to follow along. It's really interesting, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is. Still just the two eggs today so not sure whether she is going to lay anymore. I do hope so.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow..... how lovely to have all this happening near your office. I hope that we will see chicks eventually. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed.. Still only the two eggs this morning so not sure whether she will lay any more. Will definitely show pictures of chicks if all goes well. Can't remember what their incubation period is will have to check.

      Delete
  7. How lovely. Can't wait to see the chicks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since this post she has layed a third egg and she may even have a fourth but I;ve not managed to see as she's sitting on them most of the time now. It is apparently unusual for them to have odd numbers but there is always a first time. They should start hatching the second week in April.

      Delete
  8. Thanks Gail. They have gone on to lay for eggs and are busy brooding now. They should show signs of hatching in about 10-14 days from now then I really will become obsessed

    ReplyDelete