Pages

Thursday, 5 March 2015

Birthday Weekend In London





First of all thank you to everyone who has left messages on  my last two posts.  It's been so hectic I've not had a chance to leave individual replies but want you all to know they have all been read. 
I haven't had time to comment on everyone's blogs either but rest assured they too have all been read.

We had any absolutely brilliant weekend in London.  I had seen the show Mamma Mia once before in Manchester but it must be 10 years ago. It is my daughters favourite musical film and she knows all the script and the songs by heart, but she had never seen the stage show.  When I asked  her  what she wanted to do for her 21st her immediate answer was to go to London to see Mamma Mia. I have to say it was just as good second time around and we sang our hearts out and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I do think the stage production is better than the film and would definitely go again
It was strange as the weekend before we went the film was on the TV and every morning driving into work there was one of the tracks played on the radio.     

Our second show was a more sombre one.  I had wanted to see War Horse for a long time but never gotten round to it, life can get in the way of such things.  We decided that if we spent two nights in London we could get to see War Horse too.  To say we weren't disappointed is an under statement. It was absolutely magnificent and would say if you get the opportunity to see it then go. The puppets and the puppeteers are out of this world and within minutes of the show starting you forget that their are people inside operating them.  




We spent a lot of the weekend around Covent Garden.  It has to be said that this is my favourite place in London.  I love the craft markets (no surprise there) in fact it was so crowded we didn't get to see all of it. 


My best memories of growing up on the outskirts of London was coming into the capital to Covent Garden and all the street performers.  It's great to see that they are still in around the Piazza.



I have no idea how this guy did this. I did wonder if it was an auto-matron that was being worked by someone in the crowd but my daughter assures me it was a human hand that was on her head and shook her hand.  The rope walker was very entertaining and he included some of the children in the act and they earned rewards for helping.  The best was a visit to the Crusting Pipe, they have classical performers throughout the day and we were lucky enough to see ZHL Ensemble who were fantastic. If I could work out how to get video's on here from my iPad I would show you but I'm not quite that advanced yet.



This coffee shop is on St. Martin's Lane and the staff were so nice nothing was too much trouble and their coffee if very nice.  So if you're ever up in London and looking for a place to stop I would recommend them.  We went twice in one day it was that good. 



Part of her birthday treat was a meal a Jamie Oliver's Italian.  I have to say the staff were lovely and nothing was too much trouble.  The meal was excellent and I thought very reasonable on price. My daughter is not known to be a big eater but she cleared her plate and had room for a desert. We both liked the fact that there are windows into the kitchen and from our table we could see all the staff cooking.  I would definitely go again.



This was my reward  for a great birthday weekend from my daughter, from the Cath Kidston store. Just another little sheep to add to the collection.

So that's it  no teens in my house for a while, just the pre-teen so I am going to make the most of the next year before number 3 hits the magic number 13.

It was an amazing weekend and one we will both  remember.


Mx






18 comments:

  1. Mitzi, this looks like a fantastic birthday weekend, a fox one you and your daughter will remember for ever! So glad you enjoyed War Horse, it is captivating, isn't it? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was and we have decided it is something we will do again. She's got her eye on Matilda next.

      Delete
  2. Sorry Mitzi, no idea why my iPad decided to write 'a fox one'!! Should of course say, 'and one'. Apologies!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea it likes to throw in the odd spurious word occasionally and you know it's not what you had put in the first place.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you both had a fabulous time. I would love to see War Horse but not sure if I'd end up an emotional wreck, I cry at the drop of a hat and found the film so upsetting.The puppets look fantastic though. I've only been to London a handful of times, I'd love to go again, there's so many places I'd like to visit. How lovely that your daughter treated you to your sheepy mug, a wonderful reminder of a very special weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days I like to go and visit but I don't think I would want to live down there again. Too many people these days I like the quieter life. My daughter was impressed that i could still get round on the tubes though and if one thing would put me off living there again it's trying to get a train at the end of a Saturday night back to our hotel and playing a game of sardines on the train. We enjoyed both the show and the weekend so much so we're thinking we may just do it again before too long.

      Delete
  4. My son as seen War Horse and said how marvellous it was but I think I would just sob all the way through. It all sounds like you had a wonderful time with each and every thing you did. A real weekend to treasure. As well as the new mug too of course!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing weekend and one we won't forget.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you all had a wonderful time. I love Covent Garden too - and have very similar photos from my birthday last year. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly will have lots of lovely memories.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad that you had such a great time and that you found War Horse to be so good. A really great way for you to spend your time!! Love your new sheepie mug too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New sheepie mug has been christened a few times since coming home. It was a great weekend and one we will both remember.

      Delete
  7. That looked like a great weekend! I would like to see the War Horse, my daughter just had an art trip to london with school and they saw Wicked, and she said its Amazing, and wants us to go and see it together. Covent garden is alot of fun, always so much to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail, I saw Wicked a couple of years ago it was a year of 50th Birthdays and that was our birthday treat. It was amazing and well worth seeing if you get the opportunity. I'd like to go again in the warmer weather to Covent Garden as we didn't get to see it all.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a great weekend and I too love Mama Mia, although I've only seen the movie. I'm on blog catch up too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Susan and we both had a brilliant time. Mamma Mia the show is definitely worth seeing.

      Delete
  9. It sounds like you had a brilliant time and a memorable one. The apparently levitating human statues - it's all done with rods hidden inside the suit, very clever. Have a great week. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely did that and we are already thinking about another one as she would love to see Matilda. Yes the levitating man was very good it just defies the laws of gravity....

      Delete