Pages

Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Peregrine Falcons





This pair of Peregrine Falcons have been nesting on the top of a building near to my office  for several years and successfully raised their chicks. Around 24 have fledged including 4 from last year. 
They have just returned again in the last week.
The male arrived first (how do you know this you ask) well typical male sat on the ledge for most of the day waiting on the female to arrive.  He's usually the one to the back. 
According to the website the female is also around a third bigger than the male and has a longer beak. 




When she arrived the following day she gave the nesting site a thorough inspection (so that's why I'm thinking this one is the female) and she is normally sat at the front. 

So how did I get these photographs you ask? Well I'm afraid I cheated. Nottingham University/Wildlife Trust have set up cameras so that you can follow/monitor the birds on a live stream and I took snap shots with my iPad from my computer screen so that I could show them to you but you can actually follow them yourselves here. if you are interested  They are completely left to their own devices and there are times that once the chicks are hatched you will see the parents bringing in pigeons and the like that they have killed in order to feed their chicks so I thought I would make you aware of that especially if you are thinking it would be nice to show your children. It would be best to log on and see what if anything that the birds are doing before showing them. So far every time I have logged on with number three they have been away from the site. I think he's beginning to think I am imagining them. 
According to my colleague who has followed them for the last two-three years, the young are usually in the nest for about six weeks and each chick is ringed before they fledge by the the Wiildlife Trust.. 


Just a little something I thought I would share with you on this Wednesday.

Back at the end of the week

Mx


23 comments:

  1. I think these nest boxes with cameras are such a good idea. How lovely that they keep returning each year, something to watch out for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great aren't they. The only problem that I can foresee is that I will become obsessed with watching what they are getting up to and never be away from the computer once the eggs/chicks arrive.

      Delete
    2. It's great isn't it. I can foresee that I will become a little obsessed with them once the eggs/chicks appear.

      Delete
  2. Snap Mitzi! I posted some photos last week of a young peregrine Falcon too.:-) How fantastic that they come back every year to raise their young. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb,

      Hi Deb, Just popped over to have a look and they didn't seem bothered at all did they that your OH was so near with the camera. Great photo's. I wonder if they were still quite young birds and didn't know to be a little weary.

      Delete
    2. That's what we thought Mitzi.

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely thing to be able to keep an eye, lucky you with them being close x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lead to believe you can see them sitting up there when you walk past the building but with my eyesight probably not. But this is a great way to watch them raise their family. I can't wait for the eggs to appear and then the chicks. I've not watched them before. I had heard about them nesting up there but hadn't realised that they had rigged up web cams so that you can watch them on a live stream it's great isn't it. Shame I have to work I could just sit and watch their nest and do my crafting all day.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting and thank you for the link. I've taken a look - what a good idea to fix up a web cam! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't Linda. Not a lot happening at the moment until the eggs have been laid and start hatching but they can be quite entertaining. Neither are there this morning.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant. I'd get obsessed too and never do any work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too bad at the moment as until they have eggs/chicks they are off site coming back intermittently but I think that will change once things start happening.

      Delete
  6. How fascinating! Thanks for the link too Mitzi. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Hawks, Falcons and Owls I could watch them all day.

      Delete
  7. It will be great for you to watch them and see what happens! You will have to keep us updated! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Amy I think I may just become a Peregrine Falcon bore but I will try not to.

      Delete
  8. What a great post! I had a nest of baby birds on my windowsill at work....it was very hard to concentrate as I kept checking on them every few minutes! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately these are not on my windowsill or I definitely wouldn't get anything done. I have them minimised in the corner of my screen and just every so often have a quick look but not sure how that will work once fluffy white chicks are there.

      Delete
  9. Fantastic! I was lucky enough to watch a Peregrine hunting over some chalk fields a few weeks back- magnificent birds. They nested on Salisbury Cathedral near us last year, hoping they will be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You well be lucky from what I've been told they do return to a site again. Although I live in the country it is very flat and open so we don't get much in the way of birds of prey etc. but if I drive up through the Vale of Belvoir to get to work then I get to see quite a lot but usually when I don't have my camera with me.

      Delete
  10. This is fabulous Mitzi, thank you for sharing the link, I will certainly be watching. How lovely that they come back each year to start a new family and what a great idea these cameras are, most of us wouldn't have the privilege of seeing them otherwise. Jxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be nice to share. Since I did they haven't been about much though. That will of course change once they have eggs to brood and chicks to feed.

      Delete
  11. I thought you'd been up on the roof and was abit worried when I saw they were on the ledge!
    How lovely they keep coming back.
    Lisa X

    ReplyDelete