Pages

Saturday, 14 February 2015

Happy Valentines Day

                                

Who says romance is dead.D & I have been together 15 years this August. We are not the most romantic of couples. These days everyday life tends to get in the way, but just every now again he will still surprise me. It's been a busy old week at work so it was a lovely surprise when I got home and there waiting for me were these beautiful roses. 

When I first met D he soon  realised I loved anything to do with Myth and Legend especially Unicorns, Pegasus and Dragons (well I am a Celt after all). I was surfing around blog land and when I read House with hearts.blogspot five on Friday yesterday it got me to thinking about the first gifts we bought each other all those years ago. At the time we lived some 300 miles apart and only met up every couple of weeks and it was usually D that made the trip as I was a single mum raising three young children at the time. I can remember being really excited as I finished work for the weekend as I knew D would have arrived by the time I got home and the children were staying with their grandmother for the weekend so that we could have a nice weekend together.   D had already sent me a dozen red roses to my office, which was a little embarrassing as I hadn't told anyone at that point that I had met someone. 
When I arrived home there sat on the table was a box all wrapped in pretty paper with a ribbon tied into a bow. Which was funny because sat in my bedroom was an identical box for D. When I produced my box we both had a little panic that we had actually been out and bought identical gifts.

Do you want to see what was inside.


This was my gift from D. Yes they are both Unicorns but whilst dusting a little while ago one lost his horn. I do have it (somewhere, that darned safe place is keeping it safe I just have to remember where that safe place is believe me I searched high and low last night as I had the glue at the ready you watch by the time I find it I won't know where I've put the glue).

But I digress...  In D box were these two dragons


So we hadn't bought the same gifts but nearly.


Fifteen years on they still reside on my dressing table along with a few others.

So how will we celebrate this year?  With a nice takeaway and a bottle of something nice and maybe a box of chocolates for after.

Have a lovely Valentines how ever you will be celebrating.

Mx







20 comments:

  1. How funny it was nearly the same gift!
    Those roses are beautiful.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we were both in a state of panic at the time but looking it back it would of just been so typical. Yes it was a lovely suprise to get my roses and they are beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Obviously kindred spirits Mitzi! Enjoy your Valentines Day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have our moments Penny when the rest of life doesn't get in the way which it invariably does.

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely story, I hope you both have a great day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did Jo thanks, that is until we tried to get our takeaway. We live in a village and our nearest takeaways are in the next village 10 mins by car. I set off to go and get something nice only to find both the takeaways were closed for the next two weeks. So it was a quick ride back home and raid the freezer for anything edible at short notice and then we had a belated meal which I cooked yesterday so we got there eventually. What is it they say about the best laid plans:-)

      Delete
  4. Those gifts definitely show it was meant to be. Lucky you, your roses are beautiful. Enjoy your evening together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you will see from my last comment to Jo Wilson, things didn't quite go according to plan but we still had a good weekend.

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet story Mitzi - two minds totally thinking alike.
    Happy Valentines Day,
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how you look back on things years down the line isn't it. I'm not sure where the last 15 years gone they just seem to have whizzed by.

      Delete
  6. I love that you bought each other very similar gifts - a sure sign you were soul mates from very early on! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life has dealt us some pretty bum cards over the last few years so it's nice that we can occasionally look back and see where it all began. I think what you said in your reply to my comment on your blog. Life can definitely get in the way sometimes and sometimes you just have to grab it back again.

      Delete
  7. What a great thing to be remembering. Gosh, hubby and I will clock up 40 years in May and often think back to the mid 70's and what we did, looked like etc. I've just been catching up and thought your last post, was funny with those dwarfs, but it does get easier as the years go by, but even at my age, I still have hot flushes, especially in summer. Have a great weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had stayed married to my ex husband it would have been 30 years this year and I am far too young to have been married that long.... I keep telling my eldest son that he can't be the age he is as I'm only 27 myself you know. His reply is only in your dreams mum. Cheeky thing. Still the last 15 have been pretty good even with the little things that life has decided to throw at us along the way.

      Delete
  8. How amazing that you both had almost the same present! You were obviously on the same wavelength and were meant to be together! I smiled about your safe place - my safe places always hold onto something until I no longer need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that safe place trouble is I have more than one and it's remembering where the safe place is. I searched everywhere I could think of so that I could glue that little horn back on before doing my post but to no avail. I'll be having a sort out one day and there it will be in the least expected place that obviously seemed like the safest place at the time.

      Delete
  9. Oh this is so incredibly romantic!!!! Awwww!!! You were obviously meant to be together and once you had exchanged your hearts that was it! I hope that you had a great day and will have many more happy valentines days to share together! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we would both agree that there are times that life throws is a few curve balls but over all we keep it together.

      Delete
  10. Aww, truly you have a man who knows in your heart what you love. Flowers are always a hit, and so nice that he bought you a gift for your collection. I would say he is "a keeper".
    Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete