Pages

Friday, 20 February 2015

A quick catch up.



Firstly I hope you all had a lovey Valentines what ever way you celebrated it.  Our plans went well until we went to get our takeaway meal only to find that both the takeaways in the next village (and the only one's around for miles) were both closed for the week. So plan a) was the Chinese and plan b) was the chippy and plan c) ended up being the pizza out the freezer how romantic was that.  Still we made up for it by having a nice meal on the Sunday that we cooked ourselves. Best made plans eh. 

Earlier on I was catching up on my blog reading and I had to smile at Jo from  Through the Keyhole's post entitled 'How Did That Happen'.  It is Jo's son's birthday today and he is 20. It made me smile as last month my eldest turned 27 but still thinks he's Peter Pan, 



and this week this cheeky young man turned 24. I certainly never dreamed when he was this size that he would be signing up for the RAF and going off to Afghanistan. Out the three big kids he was always the clingy one and the one that would suddenly put his little hand in yours when you were walking along.  Where did those years go you may well ask Jo and the answer is I just don't know. 


As I shared the card I bought number one for his birthday last month I thought I would share the one I bought for number 2.  He loves his car which is an Alfa Romeo something and very fast is all I will say especially with him behind the wheel.  I wrote inside 'I bet you wished my savings went as far as buying you one of these for your birthday, but unfortunately they don't. Not unless a matchbox version will do'.


I hope you are all enjoying the half term holidays.  They seem to vary all over the UK with some being off last week and some this.  My number 3 is off this week so I took the opportunity to take some time away from the office.  As per usual the weather has been a little interchangeable but we did manage to get out in the sunshine with the four paws for a walk around the village.  It was very entertaining as D & number 3 were in charge of the Rufus and Romeo who it has to be said misbehaved for most of the walk messing about and barking.  I was in charge of Monty and Buster.  Monty always behaves he's such a laid back dude and just saunters along.  Now it has to be said that in the past Buster who we were lead to believe was lead trained when we got him at the age of 2 nearly 3 has had issues in the past of crying and barking and jumping up and down (due to over stimulation and excitement of going on a walk), which means I normally walk him on his own or just with Monty and not with the other two.  But on this occasion I was very proud of him.  We had a little bit of crying when we set off which was D's fault as he set off at such a pace that he'd left me behind shutting gates and therefore Buster cried because he could see D and number 3 a head and wanted to catch them up. After that he was so good and didn't even cry or bark when we got to the duck pond.  He wouldn't hurt the ducks but just gets so excited when he sees them. This is such a vast improvement but it has taken just over a year to get him to this point and I was beginning to wonder if we ever would.  I normally get back from walking with him so stressed and in need of a cup of tea but hopefully we have turned a corner. I have come to the conclusion that his previous owners should never have had or should ever consider having  a  dog again. It does make me cross when people take on an animal without thinking about the impact they will have on your time (OK I'll get off my soap box now). 

I am as ever making my way through a vast number of books again this month, finishing my return to child hood read of Anne of Greengables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery last night.  I read this version on my Kindle and at just 99p for the complete collection of around 8 books I thought that was a bit of a bargain.  In the first story we see the arrival of Anne at Greengables  aged 11 as an orphan girl taken on by Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert, you get to follow Anne's journey as she blossoms into a young women aged 16. Which is where I have chosen to leave Anne at this time.  The subsequent books take her from age 18 up to a middle aged women of 53 (can we call that middle aged I think we can seen as that's how old I will be next birthday) I have never read any of the later books so this will give me the opportunity to do so at a later date. Needless to say I enjoyed it just as much this time around as I did all those years ago. 


I am going to leave you now with the beautiful skies from this morning as I was making my way to the office.



                          




Have a lovely weekend one & all.



Mx







14 comments:

  1. I hate the way our children grow up behind our backs the way they do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I have told them for years to stop doing it but as per usual they have completely ignored what I've said and gone and done it anyway.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea that the Anne books went on for so long! Another for my perhaps maybe someday list! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that I did either Amy. I knew there were further books after Greengables but I thought it took her to being maybe in her 20's not to a middle aged lady:-) so I will probably have to revisit at some point to see what happened to Anne as an adult.

      Delete
  3. A lovely newsy post, and thank you for the link. Happy birthday to Number 2, Daniel will be 24 before I turn my back. What a shame about your takeaway but I bet your Sunday dinner was far better than you could have bought out anyway. Poor Buster, he reminds me of Archie, I think he has some kind of separation anxiety as he's very similar. If one of us goes in to a shop whilst the other waits outside with him, he plays merry hell. People think he's having his throat cut he makes so much noise. We've tried everything to help him to no avail. He does walk on his lead well though and he's brilliant if you let him off, it's just that he doesn't like anyone to go out of sight. He even follows me to the toilet! What beautiful sky photos, it was raining here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I don't think Buster was ever abused I just don't think they knew how to look after him properly. His coat and ears were so matted when we got him. His ears made him look like Princess leia. They said they had taken him to the groomers but they quite clearly hadn't and he had to be shaved only to reveal ulcers on his ears so no wonder he was so grouchy if you went near them, still he has come along way in the last year so I'm sure the walking thing will eventually click into place especially if Monty has anything to do with it.

      Delete
  4. His post was like a lovely chatty letter from a friend Mitzi! I am right with you on children growing up, their childhoods are over in the twinkle of an eye. Have a lovely weekend X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks Penny I hope it was the sort of letter you would want to receive from a friend.

      Delete
  5. I loved your last post and this one was great too. We all seem to be thinking about our kids/grandkids growing up so quickly, but yours are much younger than mine. I read all the Anne books as a child/teenager and still have most of them, plus some of her others. Did you realise that LMM also wrote adult fiction too? Hope you have a lovely weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well as I said in an earlier reply they were all told to stop doing the growing up thing I banned it but they still went and did it anyway. I'm not sure that I did know that LMM did adult fiction I certainly haven't read any that I can remember. I made the decision to only read the first of the Anne Shirley books otherwise she'd of taken up my whole challenge for the year, but I will go back and read more of them another time.

      Delete
  6. Buster is lucky to have such a caring Mum! I've always had rescue cats and it can take months to unpick the worries caused by their earlier lives. If only they could talk! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had Monty from a pup but each of the other three have been taken on as older dogs and each one has come with their own little story but I think Buster has been the harder one to resolve. He's getting there though and is a good boy otherwise so can't complain.

      Delete
  7. My eldest son was 27 last month too! I just don't' know where the years have gone. Lovely photos of the skies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They grow up so quickly don't they? Then there are the grandchildren, in our case - the youngest will be a teenager this year! I have my mother's hard cover copies of the Anne books and one or two paperback versions, so I have the whole set up to Anne of Ingleside. I think I'll slip one of the paperbacks ( Anne of Avonlea) in my bag to take on holiday for an enjoyable, gentle re-read . Thanks for the reminder of some favourite characters and stories about them.

    ReplyDelete