Pages

Monday, 12 January 2015

January make but not a bake.




Yesterday was my birthday and I have to say a big thank you to all of you who left comments on my previous post wishing me a Happy Birthday.

As I had been poorly for the best part of a week we decided that rather than going out for a meal this weekend we would postpone it to another time.

I love Italian food and have always enjoyed making it, but now it's just the three of us at home and with busy lives I don't always have the time,  or the inclination if I'm honest to get the cookery books out and make or bake something. 
One of my challenges for 2015 is to get back into the kitchen once a month and either bake or make something I have not made for a long time if ever.

when the big kids were still at home I used to make Tiramisu, which is a gorgeous Italian pudding or cake depending on which you make. 


D has been moving into his offices near to number 3's new school over the last week and was busy setting things up over the weekend, this will now reduce his travelling time to and from number 3's school,which when he works for yourself has a  big impact on his office based time.

Whilst D was out yesterday number 3 and I decided we would make Spaghetti Bolognese  for tea as it's his favourite and he enjoys helping to make it and thought we would make a nice pudding for after.

As I hadn't made Tiramisu for about  8 - 10 years we decided it was time for a revival of this lovely pud and between us we took photographs to show you and it also gave me the opportunity to fulfil my January challenge. 



Ingredients

6 egg yokes
6 tablespoons of caster sugar
750g Mascarpone Cheese
Vanilla Extract
Strong black coffee
shot of brandy
Boudoir Biscuits
Cocoa Powder

Serves 4-6

  1. Mix the eggs and caster sugar together until light and creamy.
  2. Add Mascarpone cheese mix until forms a custard type consistency.
  3. Add a few drops of vanilla extract
  4. Add the shot of brandy to the cold black coffee
  5. Dip each boudoir biscuit into the coffee/brandy and place into trifle dish or individual Sunday dishes.
  6. Add a scoop of the mascarpone mixture
  7. Keep alternating biscuit and mascarpone mixture, finishing with the mascarpone mixture.
  8. Leave in the fridge for an hour to set 
  9. Sprinkle with cocoa powder
  10. serve.

Why not give it ago I'm sure you won't be disappointed. 

Mx


17 comments:

  1. Belated Birthday wishes. Sorry to hear that you've been ill. I hope that you are 'on the mend' now. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better now thanks Jan. Only downside means back to work too.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you've been poorly, I hope you're feeling better now. I'm not a lover of tiramisu but Mick likes it, perhaps I'll surprise him one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always a mixed bag in our house. Some loved it but some not so keen. D & I always liked it so it was nice to have it again after such a long time.

      Delete
  3. A tiramisu is perfect as it translates to 'pick me up' ......glad you are feeling better xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pick me up was just what I needed so it was obviously the right choice of pud.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love Tiramisu, especially when it is left overnight and becomes a little macerated. Hope you are feeling much better very soon X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine would have been better if I'd made it on Saturday so that it had time to macerate a bit more but it was still very nice. In fact we had the last bit last night after tea and it definitely tasted stronger.

      Delete
  5. Hope you are on the mend and can go out for your birthday tea soon. I make quite a bit of spag bol, as my hubby calls it, because it is one of his favourites. Never tried tiramasu. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spag Bol is number 3's favourite. There are two things he loves more than anything else. Spag Bol and Chicken Pie. Tiramisu is a lovely creamy desert very nice.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about your ickies, I hope that you are feeling much better now. Hope you enjoy your kitchen adventures this year too! Happy Birthday! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better thanks. Caught up with a colleague today who presented me with a new chocolate cookbook and some lovely ceramic measuring cups. She must have read my thoughts as I hadn't had a chance to catch up and tell her about my challenges for 2015.

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday (belatedly!) Glad you're feeling better now. I adore Tiramisu its a family favourite here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I had a lovely birthday albeit quiet but it was lovely spending some time with number 3 who at 11 is usually too busy on his x box to spend time with his old mum. I am looking forward to seeing what other nice things I can find to make this year. Might have to hide the bathroom scales for a while.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear you've been poorly, not nice anytime but definitely noy nice around your birthday.
    Lovely that you and your son made the dessert together, but it was all enjoyed all the more for it.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a rarity that he comes in the kitchen with me he's usually too busy on his ipad or xbox.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a nice pudding. Glad your feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete