Pages

Sunday, 4 January 2015

HAPPY NEW YEAR LET THE 2015 CHALLENGES BEGIN



Hi everyone out there in blog land and to all my blogging friends.

This is my first blog of 2015 

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and that Father Christmas bought you everything on your Christmas lists and may be even a few surprises.


I received some lovely gifts including lots more books to add to the bookshelf  a few have already found their way onto my Winter reads.
My good friend Lou bought me 'The Great Christmas Knit Off' by Alexandra Brown which I started on New Years Eve  I am already a good proportion of the way through.

Having some time off over the holidays has certainly given me time to relax and unwind and enjoy time to do a lot of reading as well as quite a lot of crafting.


Last year was my first year at taking on big crochet projects. I have been a knitter for 40+ years but crochet is still relatively new to me. 


I have however started on a new project just before Christmas which is for a very special birthday very soon. So more about that later.


I so enjoyed my challenges last year that I have set myself some new ones for 2015.  This idea came from Jo from Through the Keyhole and she has already been busy setting her challenges for 2015.


I've set myself three challenges for this year.

I used to bake a lot when the big kids were at home but now there is just the three of us I don't seem to bother so much these days.  I have some lovely cookery books containing lots of wonderful recipes. So my first challenge is to once a month bake or make something I've not made before. This will encourage me to get the cookery books off the shelf give them a dusting and find some interesting things to make for me and D on a weekend when I have more time

Last year I set myself to read books that I read at school some of which I liked and others I loathed. I still think my favourite is 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. So  my second challenge is to read some of the books I read as a child and those that I shared with the children.  My first read is going to be 'The Secret Garden'. Not only was this one of my favourites as a child it was and still is one of my daughter's favourites.

And so to my third and final challenge.  I used to do a lot of Cross stitch and I have several around the cottage.  I haven't started any new projects for some considerable time.  Having helped a colleague at work start her first ever cross stitch and making up a kit for another colleague for Christmas, reminded me how much enjoyment I got out of stitching away, especially when there is nothing much to watch on TV.  So I have started 'The Dark Sourceress' 


 Isn't she a beauty.  I do tend to like slightly unusual things and she is just my cup of tea.  
As I will be back at work from tomorrow my time will be limited but my 'Cross stitch Sundays' are back. I will do crocheting and knitting on and off during the week time permitting but Sundays will be reserved for my Cross stitch whether it be for 10 minutes or 1 hour or all day,  I will then update you at the end of each month as to how far I have got which will hopefully give me the incentive to keep going and as she is from a set of three if I complete the Dark Sorceress then I will just move onto one of the others. That should keep me busy for the next twelve months.

How about you have you set yourselves any targets or challenges for 2015?



Mx








17 comments:

  1. Some great challenges there. I've heard others setting themselves cross stich challenges and it's reminded me that I haven't started the kit which Mick bought me for Christmas in 2013 yet, I'm sure your posts will encourage me to get going with it. The Secret Garden is one of my favourite books from childhood, I remember stitting with my mum in front of the fire while she read it to me and it's a book which I read to Eleanor too. I'm looking forward to hearing what you make from the cookery books. Happy new year and all the very best for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think keeping to the baking/making one will be the biggest challenge. Now I'm back at work we usually make do during the week so it will have to be a weekend challenge. I've already got something in mind for January nothing too difficult but something I've not made before so fingers crossed. I love cross stitch but again it's time but now I've set my challenge I will have to stick to it won't I.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Mitzi.
    You have a wonderful set of challenges ahead and I will enjoy them with you over 2015.
    Have fun
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving that cross stitch, something I could never quite get the hang of! My sewing just isn't that neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be neat on the front. I always start with the intention of being really neat on the reverse but it doesn't always turn out that way.

      Delete
  4. Great challenges, I look forward to hearing all about them as the year goes on! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made a good start on the cross stitch but as it's back to work for me progress will be a little slower.

      Delete
  5. I love The Secret Garden and read it again some years back. Cross stitch I love but my eyes don't and in my WIP box I showed on my last post, I have two tiny ones my daughter gave me a long time ago and one is started, so of course they will come out some time this year. I'm looking forward to what you and Jo achieve with your challenges (and me). Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Secret Garden and I am looking forward to reading it again. I have made a good start on the Cross stitch but now I'm back in the office progress will be slow.

      Delete
  6. Good luck with your challenges Mitzi - I have no doubt you will succeed at all of them. Looking forward to seeing the cross stitch develop, Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is rather beautiful and she has progressed well over the holidays but that will slow down a bit now work beckons.

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year. Great challenges, I am looking forward to seeing how they map out....I have set my own goals too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you to Niki will have to pop over and see what your challenges are going to be for 2015.

      Delete
  8. Hi Mitzi, and Happy New Year! I live the sound of your challenges, and look forward to your monthly updates. I love re-reading childhood books, I am sure you will enjoy revisiting your childhood through these reads. Your cross stitch looks very complex. I have done quite a lot of cross stitch over the years but have none at the moment, I always enjoy it when I do it. My goal for this year is to be more organised! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to be organised but it's usually more disorganized chaos than organised. But I always get there in the end.

      Delete
  9. Some creative challenges there. I look forward to reading all about the sumptuous meals you will be preparing! I do like to cross stitch but like you haven't done any for ages. Your new picture is stunning. I'm always amazed at what can be created by coloured threads.
    Enjoy your challenges and Happy New Year to you all.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete