Pages

Sunday, 18 January 2015

Birthdays and Back to Work


First of all thank you to everyone to who left comments last week wishing me a speedy recovery


and all my birthday wishes.  Back in April last year when we went to Scotland I bought a lovely shawl and we searched for a Cairngorm  Brooch to put on it but to no avail.  D is has a keen eye for antiques and jewelry and he found this one for my birthday.  I hadn't expected it as he had bought me an iPad mini for Christmas so it was a lovely surprise and has already had an outing to show it off. 


Now I would like to say that I made this gorgeous Mocha cake but I'm afraid that would be a big fat fib. My lovely colleague and bookswapbud made it for my birthday and I have to tell you it was scrummy. Not sure that my baking talents are anything like hers but I will give it a go. 


Speaking of baking. Another colleague gave me this lovely cookery book and Laura Ashley measuring cup set.  She must have read my mind as I hadn't seen her since before Christmas so she didn't know that one of my 2015 challenges is to get back in the kitchen and bake. There are some lovely recipes in there and I am sure I will be attempting one as my challenge this year.


I got lots of lovely birthday cards too but I think this one just about says it all from my lovely friend and work colleague.


Now it's no secret in our house that I do rather like sheep but whilst catching up on my blog reading this week I was visiting Jo at Through the Keyhole and her blog this week was about some of her Yarndale gifts her husband had very sneakily bought for her for Christmas. One of the gifts was an apron from Quince Pie made in the same sheep fabric as another of my gifts. This lovely cushion was made by my very talented colleague Jacqui who is a wiz with a sewing machine.  She also helped me make my knitting sheep knitting bag in the top right of this collage.  My cushion is now residing on my bed as I am sure one of my little four paws would think it was just the right place for them to have a snooze.

Speaking of four paws and birthdays


Our little Rufus has also had a birthday this week and is now the ripe old age of 3. 

Have a good week one and all.

Mx











23 comments:

  1. What a lovely brooch and thoughtful hubby. May I ask what sort of cake it was and that cookbook looks great, but I've so many I don't really need anymore. I don't cook as much with only two of us, but try to do some different things occasionally. I'd love a four paws. Maybe one day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have longed admired Cairngorm brooches but like all these things when you don't specifically want one you see them all the time in antique centres when I'd bought my shawl and then wanted one we didn't see one the whole time we were in Scotland. I don't know where he managed to find it but it is beautiful. The cake was (as it's all now gone) a Coffee Mocha cake I think she said she adapted a cup cake recipe either way it was very moist and scrummy. I don't do a lot in the kitchen these days now there is just the three if us and we both work full time so it's usually something to make do in the week and then we try and have a nice meal at the weekend.

      Delete
  2. As Brucie would say, Didn't she do well. You received some wonderful gifts, thoroughly spoilt. What a wonderful hubby you have managing to track down that brooch, you must have been thrilled to bits when you opened it. I do love a surprise. I love your sheepy collage, your cushion would go very well with my new apron. Looking forward to seeing what you make from your new book, the cover photo looks delicious, it would definitely draw me in, I love anything chocolatey. Happy belated birthday to Rufus, I'm sure he was made just as big a fuss of as you were on your special day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't I just. I got lots of lovely gifts this year. I have one cake recipe in mind from my new book. This weekends task is to get all my books out and have a sort through to see what thiings I could make that I've not made in a while or maybe something I've not attempted before. Rufus was very spoiled too. We have one more birthday this month when the eldest turns 27 this week.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love Cairngorm jewellery, it reminds me of Scottish gift shops in the highlands, very nostalgic for me! That is a beautiful example, what a thoughtful gift. So glad to hear you had a good birthday, the older I get the more important I think it is to celebrate these milestones! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a really lovely Christmas and Birthday as I've seen all but one of my babies but I did get a parcel arrive from the one who wouldn't be at home which was a lovely surprise. I didn't expect much from D as he had totally spoiled me at Christmas so my brooch was a great surprise and it is beautiful and will look lovely on my shawl.

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous husband you have, such a lovely & caring gift. Sounds like you had a fabulous day & were thoroughly spoilt. Happy belated birthday wishes. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very nice as I had been poorly all week and we had already decided not to go out for lunch that day so I expected a very quiet Birthday. It was quiet but I got lots of nice gifts and we still have a lunch out to look forward to at some point. Unfortunately D's back is bad this week and number 3 is now off school poorly. So the rate we're going I'll be going out for my birthday lunch in about March:-)

      Delete
  5. It looks like you had a lovely time. Happy birthday to Rufus too! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I feel thoroughly spoiled this year and of course Rufus had a great day too. Just one more birthday to go this week when my eldest will turn 27.

      Delete
  6. Your brooch is beautiful isn't it!! It looks very arts and crafts style to me, which I love. A great treasure indeed. Glad that you had such a great birthday! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed and I will certainly treasure it.

      Delete
  7. What a very thoughtful gift from your husband. Makes it all the more special knowing the thought and attention gone into choosing it.
    That cake looks amazing! Good luck with your chocolate baking, the LA are very pretty.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to say that the chair we bought at the weekend has already been painted a creamy colour. It needs a touch up here and there but as it's a spare I don't need to rush to do anything to it. Once the better weather comes it will be a pain project for a sunny afternoon.
      Lisa x

      Delete
    2. The cake was very nice and I was very spoiled this year. It's always nice to have projects in the pipeline whatever you do to your chair I'm sure it will look great.

      Delete
  8. Glad you had a great birthday, your brooch is lovely and colorful. I have that cook book and its good. I think I need to make a chocolate cake that one is looking good! Nice cushion too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I was a very spoiled lady this year:-)

      Delete
  9. Love that card!! Belated birthday wishes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just so true isn't it. I think the same could be said for those of us here in blogland. There never seems to be a problem to big or two small that some one have the answer to resolve it. Which for a group of people who probably will never meet one another is a pretty good virtual friendship.

      Delete
  10. You have received wonderful gifts and that gorgeous cake does look so good. Happy birthday to Rufus too.
    Hoping you and your crew are on the right side of it all now and can finally enjoy a slap up meal.
    Best wishes
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Helen,

    Yes I am back to normal now, if normal is the right word for me:-) Unfortunately D and number 3 have both been poorly this week so we're not quite all fighting fit yet so the meal is still on hold but we'll get there eventually probably around May:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo hello! I love a new lovely blog to read of a wet Friday evening! Are you excited about the new Shaun the Sheep film? Thank you for popping by to visit my blog too!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to read that you've been unwell, Mitzi. I hope you're on the mend and enjoy using your new cook book.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete