Pages

Friday, 9 January 2015

Another year older

This weekend I will be turning another year older


I was born in the year of the big freeze, that lasted until March, in a village just outside of London, surrounded by woodland  near to RAF Stanmore, which sadly is no longer there.

I was named after Mitzi Gaynor the star of South Pacific. After two daughters I think my parents were thinking the odds were I may have been a boy and if that had been the case I would of been Michael rather than Mitzi. South Pacific was my mother's favourite musical at that time and hence I was named after the lead actress.  Most people tell me it's a lovely name. Personally I have never liked it and made sure when it came to having my own children they were given good sound names and not one that most poodles are given although with having such curly hair you could say there is a similarity.

Like a lot of families at that time our grandmother lived with us.  She was a big part of our lives and I have an abiding memory of her dressed in her pinny of many pockets. No matter what you needed it was bound to be in one of those pockets.

She was passionate about her dogs and used to breed Welsh Corgies.  I loved seeing those gorgeous little bundles. Sally was the Corgie bitch who was my absolute favourite,  
Rex was my nan's Chow with the blue tongue and he was like a big teddy bear.
The last dogs of my childhood were Tri Colour Shelties. Prince and Lassie, I think I was about 13 when they died and as my nan had also passed away by that time my mum couldn't bring herself to have anymore.

Both my mother and grandmother were professional seamstresses and I have fond memories of the two of them sitting one each side of the fire place sewing away from the early hours of the morning,

As young girls were went to ballet school and my mother and grandmother made all the costumes for any performances we did.  They made the most beautiful tutu's and spent hours sewing on sequins. 



 It was a time of Flower Power, The Beatles, Liberty Boddices (do any of you remember Libberty Boddices?) and of course the mini skirt.




The first group I ever liked was 'The New Seekers' and my poor dad had to take me to see them in concert. 
At nine years old I found my first love in Martyn Kristian, he still has a gorgeous smile don't you think.


In the 70's you were either a fan of The Osmonds or The Jackson Five. Our house was a little divided but I have to say I was in the Jackson Five Camp and again my poor dad got dragged a long to see them. Sadly I never got to see Michael in concert as an adult which will always be my one regret.


Of course tastes in music changed over the years.
I think at one point Stevie Nicks was my style icon, we were similar in height and had similar hair.



Speaking of hair. These days we have straighteners in order to straighten our hair.
When I was a teen and hair like Chrystal Tips me and my sisters used to iron our hair to get it to go straight.
If you were going out and wanted your sister to iron your hair for you, you definitely didn't do anything to upset them before hand or they just might take the iron a little too near to your scalp, accidentally on purpose of course.
The things we did in the name of vanity....

My second love was


my first car which was a Triumph Herald similar to this one and I called her Fifi.
She was beautiful and a means to independence for someone who lived in a village with only one bus an hour and none on Sundays.

So  I may be about to become another year older but I wouldn't say I was necessarily any the wiser but I hope you enjoyed joining me in my trip down memory lane.

Mx









18 comments:

  1. Hi Mitzi! Happy New Year to you, and a very Happy Birthday!! I like your name its quirky, I was never super excited about mine but the story is nice behind it. I like your challenges I think I need a few, will have to think on that. I have caught up on your posts, and I like the look of all of your wool and your blankets are gorgeous. Loving the look of that car, great color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday ~ hope you have a very lovely weekend. I remember Crystal Tips and Alastair too ~ I must be showing my age! :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Mitzi, hope you have many treats.
    I loved your post, a little trip down memory lane, great pictures too.
    Mum had an ageing Triumph Herald when we were young-she painted it pink-not even with car paint!.
    Our village hasn't progressed much regarding public transport I have to say.
    We were Bay City roller fans, not as long lasting as the Osmonds.
    Have a wonderful day. xx
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year and a very happy birthday. Thank you for sharing such special memories with us xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a lovely birthday. David Essex certainly ticked all the boxes for me! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was and still is a very handsome man and those gorgeous blue eyes.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday Mitzi! Loved all your memories, I was into David Essex and David Cassidy! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Essex has definitely matured well where as the pics I found of David Cassidy uhm not quite so flattering.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday Mitzi. I just loved that post and had good laugh about some of the things we all did in those days. I'm allowed to say that as I am a just a bit older than you. Hubby says he remembers the freeze of '63 well. Pity you didn't get to see Michael, but I actually share his birthdate. My tastes in music went to Cliff Richard and The Dave Clark Five.(lol) Have a lovely cosy weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember the Dave Clark Five and obviously Cliff I did forget to put Rod the Bod Stewart in my collage picture how remiss of me.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Mitzi! What a lovely post was lovely to read back on your memories and life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have put lots more in this post but decided I could save some for another time.

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday, I hope you have a wonderful day. I enjoyed your trip down memory lane. I shared a bedroom with my sister and I remember the biggest poster you can imagine of David Cassidy on the wall as he was her idol, I just had to put up with it. I went to see Michael Jackson in 1988. He performed at Roundhay Park in Leeds on his 30th birthday as part of his Bad tour, it was a brilliant concert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sisters were big David Cassidy fans. I couldn't go to see Michael in 1988 as I was heavily pregnant with number one and they were all worried I would get over excited and go into labour.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday!!!! I hope that you had/have a great day and that you have a great year ahead too! So many great memories from your childhood. I am a little younger than you, but remember so many of these great singers too. I never really liked either the Osmonds or Jackson Five, but I have no idea why! Just never got into them I guess. I like the Osmonds music and Donny now though! Whatever you have done for your birthday I hope that it was great and that you made some more lovely memories to look back on in future years! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think fashion was about the funniest thing of my childhood. I had forgotten about all the flowery material and big bell shaped sleeves.

      Delete
  11. Happy belated birthday wishes to you. I hope you had a great birthday.
    I enjoyed the photo of David Essex, he is lush!
    I think Mitzi Gaynor was such a talented dancer.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Essex is still lush don't you think. May be my mother had aspirations that I would one day dance as well as my name sake. sadly that wasn't to be the case....

      Delete