Pages

Sunday, 25 January 2015

A trip around my garden and other ramblings....


I thought I would start today's blog with a little trip around the garden. In the Honeysuckle remains the remnants of Mabel & Earls nest from last Spring.  Hopefully they will be back soon building a nest again ready to raise another clutch of baby Blackbirds.



The bird bath has frozen over a few times lately and we've had to do a quick defrost to make sure that the birds who do visit our garden can get to the water. The Hellebore's are all starting to shows signs of flowering. These are one of my favourite plants and I have the dotted about all of the garden. Our  Fatsia was one of the first things we planted when we moved her in 2009 and this year the flowers have been magnificent. And at last there are signs that Spring is not too far away as all my daffodils are getting ready to show off their beautiful flowers again this year.


and look who popped by to say hello. I'd like to think it's Mabel and know it probably isn't but humor me all the same.


I usually find January a hard month having had all my family around at Christmas and some time off I always feel that I come back down to earth with a bump when it's all over for another year and it's back to normality and work.  It's still been so dark of a morning travelling to work and by the time I leave it's usually dark when I return home.  It was lovely to see this beautiful red sky as I traveled to work through the Vale of Belvoir the other morning and to see such blue skies later in the day.  But that didn't last did it. We then went back to a dark morning accompanied by snow and the last couple of mornings it has been freezing.
Still only one more month of Winter and anyone who follows Green Rabbit Designs will know that Vivienne doesn't believe we have three months of Winter and that we are now in fact in Pre-Spring.  If you click on the link you will also see that when she was making her little Christmas bunnies I got a really lovely surprise when she named one of her girls Mitzi.  Now I know it's only coincidence but leave me in my ignorance a bit longer won't you.  I don't get to meet any other Mitzi's with it being such an unusual name and when I do it's usually the name of someone's poodle or cat so it was nice to share my name with such a gorgeous girl instead.



now I'm going to show off my bargain of the week.  I picked up these lovely Tulips one evening when I stopped at the Supermarket for bread and milk as you do, for 30p when their ticket price originally was £5


across the week they have opened and I have to tell you their perfume has been out of this world. 
I do like to have flowers in the house.


These are sat on my dining room table.


Speaking of tables, some of you like to share the things that gather on your table across the week or month so I thought I would share with you what was on my table yesterday. A nice cream/jam filled scone and a cup of tea having taken the four paws out for a walk.


And lastly this week we have celebrated the last of our January birthdays.


Doesn't he look cute? Now I'd like to tell you he's just turned 3 but that was the age number one son was in the photograph. In reality he has just had his 27th birthday. How did that happen when I'm only 27 myself. Well that's where I am in my head it's not what I see when I look in the mirror of a morning can be quite a shock I can tell you.



At what age should you stop buying your son a card with Bart Simpson on it?

Have a good week one & all 

Mx


18 comments:

  1. Lovley post Mitzi. I also like hellebores and had some lovely ones in my last garden, including Ivory Prince which is gorgeous. In fact the blocks I've just posted remind me of the darker hellebores and the quilt I made my daughter when she was in her late teens, which we actually called The Hellebore Quilt.(that was a "loooong" time ago). Funny how some of us post about similar things, as I've just put on flowers in the house as well. My baby is older than your eldest, but had his birthday in early January. Time just keeps marching on. Hope the weather warms up for you a bit and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know all the names of my Hellebores I will have to look up Ivory Prince to see if I have one of those, if not it may have to be added to the list for the garden. I loved your latest quilt, a very clever lady you are. We have at least got glorious sunshine today albeit it is still a little chilly.

      Delete
  2. What a varied post Mitzi, full of interesting photographs too. I love heliports too, but don't have any in my garden. I am patiently waiting for snowdrops to start blooming. Lovely photograph of your son, and I don't think there is any reason atall to stop buying him Bart Simpson cards!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep reading all your comments it seems that Bart is still acceptable and he loved it so that's the main thing. Hellebores yep I would have more of them dotted around the garden but D keeps telling me there is enough of them. I may just sneak a few more in though next time I go to the garden centre.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to your son, I hope he had a good day. It will soon be nest building time again. We had blackbirds in our hedge a few years ago but they never returned, there's just too many cats around here for their liking. Your tulips are beautiful, what a fantastic bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are quite open at the back but they found themselves a great spot in the Honeysuckle and even though cats are agile creatures I think they would be hard pressed to get in there it's so thick by Springtime, that's if they had even worked out they were in there. I couldn't resist the Tulips and I'm glad I didn't they are gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. I totally understand where you're coming from! My daughter was 17 at the weekend and I'm not much older than that myself. We must have both been young brides!! Bart Simpson was totally appropriate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I must be approaching the point where the children will be older than me soon, you know the bit where they say we have our children raise them to adults and then before we know it they are looking after us.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Mitzie! When my 3rd son turned 21 and thought that now he was fully matured, I gave him Barney party. Just family, but we felt he needed a bit of a reality check.
    I know what you mean about age. I stopped aging internally at 29 (just like the late Jack Benny) and my eldest child is 44 tomorrow!
    I like the idea of Pre-spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Regena, I often look at my big three and wonder how they got to be so big. I knew it would happen but it just seems too have crept up on me.

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of pre spring! It sounds so positive. Your tulips are beautiful aren't they, such a lovely shade of pink. Happy Birthday to your son! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pre Spring definitely seems better than Winter doesn't it. Yes the Tulips are still going strong I am curious to see how long I can keep them for.

      Delete
  7. Hi Mitzi,
    It is so wonderful to be in the garden, I too enjoyed several hours in mine today, really quite mild it was too and such a tonic after the work week, it is hard not seeing your own home in the light until Saturday I agree.
    Beautiful tulips.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd get so much more done if work didn't get in the way:-)

      Delete
  8. Never too old for Bart! Belated happy birthday wishes to your son. I love the bunnies you included a link to, they are all beautiful, I can see why you would be thrilled to share your name with them.
    That sunrise sky is stunning. I think that is the 30p spent by anyone all year, the tulips are gorgeous.
    Have a good week.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he liked his card and he does have a tendency to think he is Peter Pan. Viv's bunnies are lovely aren't they a very talented lady. I do like sunrises and sunsets and being so flat where we are you can see some stunners. The Tulips are still going strong I think they will go another week.

      Delete
  9. I like the garden in the morning when I am feeding the dogs and rabbit. Its quiet and nice for thinking or not thinking. I like your pictures the spider web looks fairy like. My oldest turned 21 over Christmas, I don't feel old enough! Thanks for the link will take a look, its nice when you find your name on something you like. The flowers are lovely, nice color and 30p! You can't beat that with a stick! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just avoid mirrors and make sure I am the one holding the camera these days so that I don't get too many shocks. It was really lovely seeing such a cute bunny with my name made me smile that's for sure, just a shame I didn't spot it earlier as I probably would have bought her, but still I am sure wherever she is now she will be well looked after. Yes my Tulips were are real bargain, I checked them again this morning and they are still ok I'm hoping they will last to the weekend and then I may have to search around for some more.

      Delete