Pages

Tuesday, 30 September 2014

September Catch Up



At the beginning of September I showed you this photograph of my Autumn reads.  As you will see from  the list below I have already made great headway into my selection together with a few additions from my Kindle. .  Each of the books listed below has a clickable link to my Tea and Biscuits and A Good Book blog where you find out a bit more about each one and what I thought of them.

The Memory Book - Rowan Coleman - Fiction

 If You Were the Only Girl - Anne Bennett - Fiction

Whilst we were watching Downton Abbey - Wendy Wax

Will You Remember Me - Amanda Prowse - Fiction

Keeper of Secrets - Amanda Brooke - Fiction

Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts - Lucy Dillon - Fiction

Mrs Sinclairs Suitcase - Louise Walters - Fiction


My return to school read challenge for this month was 

To Sir With Love - E. R. Braithwaite 

It was such a long time ago since I had read this book that I had actually forgotten that E. R. Braithwaite's memoir was written about his time working in an east end school not an american one as portrayed in the film starring Sidney Poitier.  Still it was a very good read and one of my colleagues in the office having heard me wax lyrical about it has downloaded it to her kindle (I just hope she finds it as good as I did). 




Although I had completed my Yet to be read bookshelf challenge, which was to have read 13 out of the 26 books sitting on the bookshelf last Christmas by June this year, which I completed in May.  I have continued working my way through the remaining 13 books on that shelf and Don't want to miss a thing - by Jill Mansell  is number 25 leaving just one more on that particular shelf.  If I had stuck to just reading these books before I allowed myself to read or buy any new books I probably would have finished it before now, but I have allowed the odd new one to jump the queue.   I should also confess that I have not been able to resist stocking up the shelf below and down loading some must reads from the Amazon sale ready for the forthcoming Autumn/Winter months, all will be revealed.   


My old film must see for September was Twelve Angry Men from 1957.  It had many famous stars, Henry Fonda, Lee J Cobb, Jack Klugman, Martin Balsam, Jack Warden. Joseph Sweeney, Ed Begley, John Fiedler, E.G. Marshall, Edward Binns, George Voskovec and Robert Webber.


For anyone who doesn't know the synopsis of this film, it is  about a court case where a young man is accused of killing his father.  Essentially the film is about the 12 jurors and there deliberations as to whether they find the young man guilty or not guilty.  Should they find him guilty he will face the death penalty for sure.  It is quite simply one of my favourite films.  They did make a remake in 1997 and ordinarily I cannot stand the remakes but actually this one kept very close to the original film, but as always I do prefer the original.

My little hats for the BIG KNIT are already to be delivered to our local Age UK charity shop.  They had set themselves a target of 4,000 so I am intrigued to find out how they have got on.  

And finally I have 40 of my poppies all ready and I will be attending a couple of craft fair in the next couple of weeks where I am hoping that some of them will be bought to help raise money for charity.  


I heard that a number of you ended up with THAT song stuck in your heads having read my harvest time post.  I do apologise.  My daughter sent me a text today to say she had the music from Willie Wonker and the Chocolate Factory stuck in her brain today.  

I know which one I prefer. 


Mx






12 comments:

  1. I've not seen that film, I'll definitely have to look it out. Good luck selling the poppies, hope you make loads of money. Be sure to let us know if Age Uk reached their target x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a great film considering it's all based within the one room. Hopefully the poppies will go well again this year. Our Age UK is not best placed within the town and Boston is quite small so I'm not sure whether 4000 was a little ambitious you never know I could be proved very wrong....

      Delete
  2. Wow, you've read a lot of books this month. I've never seen Twelve Angry Men, it sounds like my kind of film so I'll watch out for that. Good luck with the poppy sales, I'm sure they'll sell really well and you'll make your target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I'm not sleeping well at the moment, too much whizzing around in my tired old brain. So if I can't sleep rather than staring at the ceiling I make myself a drink and read for a while, although then I do run the risk of getting into the habit of doing that every night. Touch wood it does seem to be improving. I do get very engrossed in a book and can get through 2+ in a week depending on the thickness of the book but even I was surprised at how many I had got through.

      Delete
  3. Gosh lots of books there, I need to start clearing out some of my paper back collection, not that it will ever happen. I love re reading old favourites. Hope they reach the 4,000 total & good luck for your poppy sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very good at getting rid of my books. There are those that having read them I know I won't read them again and so once they have done the rounds of my book buddy and my daughter I then give some to D's dad and gran and others go to my local Tesco who have a little book stall with all proceeds from their resale going to their this years charity. So I at least feel they are going to a good cause. Most of the time they don't seem to hang about on the shelf for too long which always makes me feel that my book choices aren't that bad then. Fingers crossed the hats and poppies will go ok.

      Delete
  4. You have done really well on your challenges, especially the hats and the poppies, I hope that the poppies sell really well and that the hat target is reached and exceeded! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed. I'm going to try and drop the hats off this weekend if I can and I will be at a craft fair in two weeks so hopefully some of the poppies will go then.

      Delete
  5. You're doing well with your reading and since being here in UK, I've actually read a book with 3 short stories in it (third one started). and will get back into reading after a 4 year absence. Will hopefully do a lot of blog catch up posts when I get home. Am doing this at MacDonalds.(giggle). Take care and thanks to you and Jo, I'm looking forward to my reading again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breakfast McMuffin I could just eat one of those right now. I hope you've enjoyed your trip but I bet you'll be glad to get back home too. Like you I had, had about a 4 year absence from reading but have definitely got the bug again now. So many great books and just not enough years left to read them all.

      Delete
  6. You are doing so well with all your challenges, good luck with the poppies! Its funny how songs get stuck in your head, especially when you haven't heard them in a while and then just for no reason ping, there they are ;) Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they just but I would of preferred it not to be the Combine Harvester one. This week it's been Neil Diamonds Forever in Blue Jeans because I happened to walk past a shop that was playing it and now there it is stuck in my brain.

      Delete