Pages

Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Here comes Autumn



I can't believe we are in autumn again already where did the summer go.
I don't know about all of you but it has certainly been feeling a little autumnal over the last few days.


By now all the children will be back or about to be in school. Some will be attending school for the first time others will be going back and moving up a year or up to secondary school. 

Then there will be those who have now left school and moving onto to either sixth form college or going out into the big wide world of work.

And lastly there will be those who will be leaving home for the first time to go off to University or returning to continue their studies.

And so another academic year begins. 


For us number 3 will be moving onto his new school.  He would of been moving on next year anyway as his old school only took him up to age 11 and as the school we had been looking at had a space to take him from this September as they cater for children from 3 - 19 years, it made sense to move him now.  
He has a diagnosis of autism and  although not all the children who attend his new school have ASD the majority seem to have this diagnosis and do very well there. 
I think interesting times are a head as we see him develop into an adolescent and then into adult hood. His previous head mistress used to tell us that most children with ASD will plateau at some stage but so far he doesn't seem to of reached that point.  
We have always talked to him about his diagnosis, especially within the last two years when he himself recognized that he was different to other neuro-typical children.
 He will tell us that his autism is being particularly bothersome when things get a little muddled.
 (which always reminds me of Winnie the Pooh)



The two big boys are back from the holidays with friends and are now settling back down into work and no doubt already planning where to go next year.
Oh to be young, free and single. 
Meanwhile daughter will be returning to her studies at University.

For me Autumn is my favourite season.
 I love the smell and colour of autumn. 
I also like the fact that when it's cold and wet outside there's nothing better than to curl up in front of the fire. 


As you can see it is Monty's favourite spot.




These are just a selection of my autumn reads with a little help from Romeo in the background, which includes the remaining 3 out of the 26 books, that were residing on my bookshelf last Christmas, together with some book swaps and some newbies, not forgetting I still have four more books to pick for my return to school read. 

And lastly with Autumn comes great food 


Beef Stew & Dumplings (YUM) one of my absolute favourite autumn foods. 
What we call in our house stodge anything that makes you warm and cozy inside after surviving on lettuce leaves all summer.

I'm sure you all have your own favourites too.

I hope for any of you that are starting a new and exciting  chapter in your lives in the very near future that all is calm and goes smoothly.

Big hugs sent to you all

Mx























13 comments:

  1. I'm with you on Autumn MItzi, there's been a couple of chillier evenings lately where I've sat looking longingly at the fireplace. I hope the new term starts well for you and all settling in goes without any hitches.I shall be round in a bit for my bowl of stew and dumplings - it looks absolutely delicious !!
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I'm sure all will be well. I'm sure we get more nervous than he does. He did have some taster days before summer break and he is looking forward to joining some of the clubs that the older children run. My daughter and I love beef stew and dumplings, she makes it for her house mates at Uni and they love it. My D isn't so keen but I blame his mother for cooking everything to within an inch. He's quite traumatized about things his mother used to cook and now as an adult just can't bring himself to eat, yet I know if he tried it he'd love it. We don't mention stews and casseroles in our house it's always Beef in Red Wine, Steak & Ale or Chicken Chasseur when the rest of us it's basically a stew or casserole :-)

      Hope all your little ones are settling into nursery without too many tears.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  2. You've very nearly sold autumn to me with talk of snuggling up in front of the fire, reading and stews, but as summer is my favourite season, I'm really not ready for it yet. I've read The Help and really enjoyed it, I watched the film afterwards and enjoyed that too. Good luck to Number 3, I'm sure he'll love his new school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been clinging to the summer by my finger tips but already when I get up in the morning for work it is still dark outside and the trees are already starting to turn. I was given the Help as a gift and it's been patiently waiting to be read so it's almost at it's turn now. I loved the film so I'm hoping the book will be equally as good. I'm sure number 3 will be fine it's D that will be more nervous. Still this time tomorrow and he will be settled in and all D's anxiety will hopefully be resolved.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. Hope No. 3 does well with his new school and having 2 grandsons with mild autism it's interesting reading your blog and what you have to say. Your reading list is mindboggling and I'm not sure I realised you also had cavaliers. I met Jo, Eleanor and Archie today which was so wonderful, and I'm still pinching myself. Have a good week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very fortunate with number 3 he is quite high functioning and so you can hold conversations in small spurts that he will take on board and understand but then soon lapses back into his own world. It must have been lovely meeting Jo, Eleanor and of course Archie. Yes I have four cavies one of each colour which always makes Jo laugh as when I started my blog we only had Monty the Blenheim like Archie and then over the last 15 months we have now acquired the other 3. When we took on Buster (Tri colour) she kept asking me when we were going to get a Ruby to complete the set and at the time I said no more but then a long came Rufus in February so that is definitely it now no more.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. I hope that you have a wonderful autumn and that number three does really well at school - and the other numbers as well of course!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy I'm hoping so. I have a few projects up my sleeve as well as all my books. I'm sure number 3 will be fine it's D that gets more worried about new things. This time tomorrow it will all be ok with his first day well and truly underway. Don;t have so many worries with the bigger ones these days except when they do give you something to worry about it's normally totally out of my control to do anything about it. Whoever told me it would get easier once they were grown up lied. :-)

      Delete
  5. I hope the new term starts well Mitzi and that everyone settles in quickly. I'm always sorry to see the end of summer, but I do like a log fire and a hearty stew, especially with dumplings - yours looks delicious, I'm tempted to get a spoon and dip in! Enjoy the rest of your week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First week went without incident for number 3 so fingers crossed he's going to love his new school. It is certainly a little cooler this morning biggest shock of all this week getting up for work and it'still dark.

      Delete
  6. I love the autumn, those conkers look great we have yet to find any like that, but I have spotted them up high waiting to fall. The fire looks most inviting and the stew is looking very good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your son has been settling in well to his new school over the past couple of weeks. Always a bit of extra worry when September rolls round and a new school is in the offing.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, I think D was more nervous than number 3. So far so good and long may it continue,

      Delete