Pages

Wednesday, 20 August 2014

The Things We Take For Granted



I suppose most of us are guilty of taking things for granted
especially our  senses and definitely our health.


I know I certainly have done, that is until I woke up and realized I couldn't see out of my left eye.

Everything was a blur.

Now the one thing that always springs to mind with working in a Children's Oncology Department is that 
whenever you get a problem with your eyesight you automatically think you have s brain tumour.

I tried to be rational about the situation and thankfully D stayed very calm about it all, at least his outward 
appearance was that he looked in a very blurred sort of way calm.

I had been working late on the computer and had been reading rather a lot but I had never experienced 
anything like it before.

I was sufficiently worried that had D not been able to get me into the Opticians I would of gone to
A & E.
Fortunately D managed to get me an appointment.

Whilst sitting waiting for my appointment it made me think about all the things I wouldn't be able to do if my eye was permanently damaged.
No more watching the sun rise or sun set (and we do get some beauties here in the Fens), no more reading or crafting and the possibility that if I could no longer drive then I wouldn't be able to continue working.  It really did make me think just how much I take my eyesight for granted, and not only my eyesight but everything from walking, talking the use of all my limbs really.


The Optician was very thorough and having asked me what I do for a living he was very good and reassured me that he could not see anything at the back of my eye that would suggest a tumour.

As you can imagine I was very relieved.  

The upshot is that I am acutely short sighted in my left eye, this must have been slowly getting worse until it hit crisis and what doesn't help is that I am very long sighted in the right eye.

The result is two pairs of glasses, one for distance and one for reading and working on the computer as well as a pair of prescription sunglasses for driving.

As the Optician had forbidden me to drive (not that I could of anyway) I had a couple of days off work whilst I waited for my glasses to be made up.

This gave my eye chance to rest and thankfully the next day my vision had all but returned to normal, as normal as it is now going to be.

It was definitely a very frightening experience and one I really don't want to repeat in a hurry.


Recently I won Kate Eastwood's Just Pootling giveaway and one of my prizes was this lovely bookmark



and I think the words say it all.

I will no longer take so much for granted that's for sure.

Hope you are all having a better week.

Mx

14 comments:

  1. :( Hope you can adjust to it soon. I am very short-sighted too - can't see 2 inches in front of my nose without specs or lenses. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara, Like all these things it was on my list to go and have an eye check but things always seem to get pushed down the list with everyday life don't they. I don't think I would put off going again.
      Mitzix

      Delete
  2. That must have been a scary experience. I've had to wear glasses for reading for a couple of years now but I can tell that my eyes are getting worse and that I'll need a stronger prescription at my next check up. I also know that I'll need distance glasses. This getting older lark isn't much fun, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not normally one for being over dramatic if anything I don't say anything as D tends to worry and in trying to show concern nags which isn't always helpful. He had noticed my pupil was a lot smaller than the other one so I had to say something and brushed if off as overdoing it on the computer at work but when it hadn't cleared by mid morning then I did start to worry that it was something more serious. Thankfully the optician was very good and try to stop me worrying too much as he said that would only exacerbate the situation. All seems to be settling now. Since I turned 50 it all seems to be going downhill.

      Delete
  3. Oh Mitzi , how frightening that must have been for you and I'm glad you managed to see someone so quickly about it, as you say , its put things in to perspective doesn't it ?
    I hope you have a restful weekend, look after yourself,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. Much better now, just having to get used to wearing glasses and remembering not to leave them places and not be able to remember when I last had them. I can now see without them on but have to wear my distance ones for driving and watching Tv the ones that have made the biggest difference is the near sighted ones for reading and using the computer which would make sense as that was the bigger issue at the time. I certainly wouldn't leave it to chance again.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. I am so glad that it isn't anything horrid. It is amazing how these things can sneak up on us and then suddenly you notice. I hope that all will be well again when you have your two pairs of glasses. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,
      Glasses are taking a bit of getting used to but I suppose my poor eye has had a bit of a trauma one way or another. Things have definitely improved I think the more stressed I felt the worse it got. Thankfully settling down again now.

      Delete
  5. Glad it was sorted. Events like that do make us realise how lucky we are. I've been wearing glasses for reading for about six months and I've now noticed that I can hardly read without them! Old age creeping up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this getting old is not good. I always said I was going to grow old disgracefully but I think somehow it has the upper hand at the moment. I'm finding the reading/near sighted glasses better than the long distance I have for driving. The readers have certainly made a big difference and when I'm not wearing them I soon feel it when I try and read something with very small writing. Just couldn't believe how quick the onset was. Thankfully appears to be sorted out now and with nothing nasty going on.

      Delete
  6. Goodness me what a very scary experience. I'm glad you managed to get an appointment at the opticians so swiftly and that he was able to reassure you.
    I hope the glasses are proving to do their job as needed.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,

      Things are much better now and seem to be on the right track now I have my specs.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  7. Glad you got the eye problem diagnosed and sorted out. I've always had complications with my eyes, but a sudden age-related condition made me realise the necessity to get regular checks and even go to A and E if certain symptoms occur. Eyesight is precious and I try and rest my eyes as much as possible even though it's frustrating when it comes to using the computer, reading for pleasure etc. Hope all is going well with you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be settling since I got my glasses. Still a little sensitive when I first wake up but no where near as frightening as that morning when I could see very little out of my left eye and everything was a blur.

      Mitzi

      Delete