Pages

Sunday, 31 August 2014

August Catch Up


Here at The Willows I have been desperately trying to cling on to the last days of Summer even if the mornings have been trying to tell me for the past week that Autumn is but a hares breath away.

 It has been glorious sunshine today and I have spent the majority of it in the garden tidying back some of the plants and putting a second coating of fence preserver on the fence panels before the weather turns.

It's lovely to see that the Butterflies are still visiting the garden.

So just a quick update on my challenges.

My challenge to re-read a book from school this month was 



My challenge to watch an old film this month was



I have already completed my challenge of making 50 mini hats for the BIG KNIT challenge and they are just waiting to be dropped off at our local  branch of Age Uk. They have set themselves a target of 4000 hats this year so I do hope they make it.  At least they will have 55 from me to help them on their way.

I have made 40 of my crochet Poppies and have already had people asking to buy them. I'm hoping we will beat the £85 we raised last year we have set ourselves a target of £100 to commemorate the 100 years since the start of the first world war.

and my last challenge was initially to read 13 out of the 26 books that were sitting on my bookshelf at Christmas.  I managed to read the 13 back at the end of May but have been continuing to read the remaining 13 and I can now reveal that I have just 3 more remaining.

The books I have read this month from my bookshelf have been

            Son of a Witch - Gregory Maguire - Fiction

           Love Anthony  - Lisa Genova - Fiction



                         I'll Never Give Up on You - Becky Hope - Non-Fiction




                         The Innkeeper's Daughter - Val Wood - Fiction




                        The Empty Cradle - Rosie Goodwin - Fiction


                        The Murder Stone - Louise Penny - Fiction


Have a good week one and all

Mx

5 comments:

  1. You have done so well with all of your challenges!! I hope that you get all your books finished and that you can raise at least £100 for the RBL with the sale of your poppies. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I have enjoyed this years challenges and already thinking about some for 2015. It will be fingers crossed with the poppies especially as so many people bought them last year and may have kept them safe ready for this year.

      Delete
  2. You're doing so well with all your challenges. You'll be on the lookout for some new books once you've got those on the bookshelf read, not many to go now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think so wouldn't you Jo but I'm afraid I have been squirreling more books away over the last few months and one or two have slipped in and been read before I'd finished the 26 but not many. Amazon have also had a bit of sale on their kindle books some are as little as 50p so I'm afraid I did succumb last weekend and download some ready for my autumn winter reads. But I will finish the remaining 3 out of the 26 before I get too engrossed in the new supply. It's a bit like buying wool for future projects once you know it's sat in the stash basket you want to be making something with it and I can be a bit like that with books. I think that's why I get through so many.

      Delete
  3. You ladies are so good with your challenges, and I never set myself many at all, though I suppose I in a way, as I did do all of Sue at Quilt Times test patterns in the first six months of this year, although one still needs quilting and another the binding, so maybe next year I will set out with a few other challenges in amongst other things. Thank you for sharing with us. Must start reading again too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete