Pages

Tuesday, 12 August 2014

A Rare Treat -The Festival of Quilts 2014

img materials.png
Festival of Quilts NEC Birmingham


This weekend I have had a rare treat.

I am no quilter but my good friend & colleague is and is always encouraging me to have a go.

So this week three of us decided to have a rare treat by travelling down to Birmingham's NEC to attend the Festival of Quilts.

There was so much to see I really don't know where to start.
I took over 100 photographs.
Obviously I can't show you all 100 so I thought I would share with you a few of my favorites.



















So there we are a small snapshot of what you get to see at this wonderful show.

Of course it would of been rude of me not to purchase a few mementos to bring home wouldn't it.



Isn't this little lamb tape measure just the cutest thing you have ever seen.

So whether you are a quilter or not I would highly recommend you try and get to one of the many quilt shows being held across the UK they are well worth a visit.  We are already planning another visit to either another quilt show or one of the big knit and stitch shows.

I promise to share some more next time.

Have a good week one and all,

Mx 

10 comments:

  1. It looks like a good day out. There's the quilt museum in York which I keep saying I'll go to but I never have yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll get there on one of your treats. I think there is a quilt show on in Harrogate from the 29th-31st August it was being advertised at the NEC and the entry is £6 for adults and £2 for children up to 16 if booked in advance. If you get a chance you and Eleanor should definitely go. The Harrogate show is needlecraft as well as quilting so there would be lots to see and then there is the Knit and Stitch show in Harrogate in November.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a good day, those are some amazing quilts! When we visited the states a few years ago, we drove up north in Indiana and the Amish had a lot of quilts on display, just beautiful, so much work. You sound like you are doing great with all of your challenges from your last post. Nice surprise for you having extra hats! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilts were absolutely beautiful my photo's don't really do them justice but it was hard to get near them for all the people but definitely worth seeing. I bet the Amish quilts were spectacular I've seen the odd program about them over the years. It was a nice surprise when I realised I had more hats than I thought. I called into the Age concern shop yesterday to see if I can drop them off there. They said yes and they have a target for this year of 4000 when I asked how many they have so far they said 300 so they still have quite a way to go before October to reach that target but still they will have my 55 to add so that will help may be they will have an influx of donations of little hats in the meantime to bring them to their target I do hope so.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a show. I'd have loved it. Your tape measure is sure a cutie. The Great Northern Quilt Show is on in Harrogate 29th - 31st August and of course there is always Yarndale at Skipton, a month later. Both should be good, though I don't know how far you live from there. Have a good week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,

      I'm a couple of hours by train and have promised myself that if I don't get there this year it will be on my list for next. There are times I could do with 48 hours in my 24 hour days in order to fit everything in and work does get in the way so.
      Hope you're having a good week.

      Delete
  4. Ooh what a lovely day out Mitzi - I would definitely have had to buy the sheep tape measure too !
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep he is rather cute. There a whole variety of them. I believe there is a quilt show in Malvern in October. I'm not sure how far that is from you but if it's not too far I'm sure you would enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely day Mitzi, I love shows and exhibitions like this - there are so many talented people out there. Love the sheep tape measure. Enjoy the rest of the week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was absolutely fantastic. I'm no quilter but even I was like a child in a sweetie shop I just couldn't get enough of it. We got there for opening time and we didn't leave till it closed and still felt like we could of looked at more. We are already talking about going to another one soon.

      Delete