Pages

Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Where did the weekend go???




The only trouble with having a lovely long weekend is that they just go by too darn quick.

I had a whole list of things I wanted to do over the four days but as per usual I didn't get to all of them.

I did however get to do the following. 



The weather has been mostly kind this weekend so it was a great opportunity to get out in the garden and sort out the weeds that had taken up residence in the beds.

I love the plant Bleeding Hearts they have beautiful little pink or white flowers, they may have another name but Bleeding Hearts is the only name I've ever known them by.





This year it seems to be the biggest it's ever grown in the five years we've been here, I did have a white one planted in the other side but I think the frost must have got it as it hasn't grown back this year. I only planted it last year, maybe if I plant another earlier this year it will fare better.

I also added another coating of Cuprinol to the Dragon's Den and the last garden chair.


Adapted  the old leaking bird bath into something functional. 





And now I am very excited because in just one weeks time number 2 will be leaving Afghanistan and returning back to his base in Scotland having completed his tour.  Which means for any of you who have been following the progress of the 'Home Coming from Afghanistan Afghan'  will know it must be near completion and ready for a ta dah moment. 

I spent most of Sunday sewing in all the loose ends.  I started off really good and as I finished a square I would sew in the ends but like all good things it didn't last so hence lots of little piles of strands of wool having to be sewn in on Sunday.  The Afghan element is now completed but I will have enough squares left over to make a cushion which conveniently takes me right to the day he boards the plane to come back to the UK.  Aren't the MOD kind in arranging  it just that way. 



I will keep my ta dah moment until next week when I can show off the Afghan and matching cushion in all it's glory.

I'm not sure when he will next be able to pay us a visit but just knowing he's back on UK soil and safe will be enough for me, it has been a very long seven months. 

Thanks again to everyone who has left comments asking how he is doing and how I'm doing whilst he's been out there it has been very much appreciated and just shows the friendships that can be forged through blogland. 

Over this weekend I have also managed to catch up with the DVD's  I have been wanting to see.

 

As you will know I had already read the books to the films.  Philiomena the book is different to the film in as much as the book tells the story of Michael Hess (AKA Anthony Lee) and his search for his mother where as the film is portrayed of Philomena Lee's search for her son, but both equally as good as the other but if you have read the book but not seen the film or seen the film but not read the book I would urge you to read or see them.   The book of the Butler my son gave me for Christmas but it was more about the making of the film than the story, so I was very eager to see the dvd when it cam out and I was not disappointed both Forest Whittaker and Oprah Winfrey were outstanding. Lastly I thought I would include my film of the month, although Harvey is not in anyway connected to Easter it does involve a 6ft three and one half inch tall invisible rabbit. 



Harvey is a 1950 film based on Mary Chase's play of the same name, directed by Henry Koster and starring James Stewart and Josephine Hull. The story is about a man whose best friend is a pooka named Harvey who just so happens to be a six foot three and one half inch tall invisible rabbit.


I have always loved this film from being a child. It is very entertaining and incredibly funny, James Stewart and Josephine Hull are wonderful and I could not suggest anything better to watch on a wet Sunday afternoon or in my case a wet Bank Holiday Monday afternoon.



So there we are having had a busy four days at home it's now back to the grind stone of work but at least it's raining so I don't feel I'm missing out so much.

Hope you all had a great Easter break whatever you got up to. 

Mx












13 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post Mitzi - I CANNOT wait to see the finished blanket and cushion, what a work of love that has been and I would imagine that you were thinking of your son and wishing him safe with every stitch. Such a special thing to have made.
    I too have seen Philomena and loved it, I though both Steve Coogan and Judi Dench were brilliant in it.
    Have a lovely week,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly was Kate and with every square made meant he was another day nearer to coming home. I can't believe it's almost here. He may choose to leave it with me to look after rather than having it in barracks but I can always pack it away until such time as he has his own place again. I do like Judi Dench films she is one of my favourites and you always know they are going to be good if she is in them, but if you get a chance to read the book it is worth the time, it tells you a lot more about her sons life in America. Have found a couple of Mandala patterns to try on Ravelry as you suggested I'll will give them a try soon and let you know how I get on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, one of your films of the month that I've actually seen. I love Jimmy Stewart films, he's such a great actor. Bleeding Heart is called Dicentra Spectabilis, but I read on another blog just this weekend that it's had it's name changed, I don't know why they do that, I'll never remember the new name so it's Bleeding Heart for me too from now on. I've got one in my garden which I've moved just this year, but it's recovered ok as it's in flower now. It's not such a beautiful specimen as yours though. I decided that I'd buy my mum Philomena, the book, for Mother's Day, but left it till the last minute as I'd seen plenty on the shelves of the nearby supermarkets. When I went to buy it, the whole lot had sold out, four supermarkets I went to too. I think she'd like the book so I'll buy it for her birthday or Christmas. You're such a tease showing just a bit of the afghan, I can't wait to see it. I can't believe that your son has just about completed his tour, the time seems to have flown by, though I realise that it won't have done for you of course. He'll be thrilled to learn that you've been crocheting a square each day to mark his time there and I'm sure he'll treasure the blanket. Don't forget to put those woolly ends out for the birds, they'll be able to have a lovely soft lining for their nests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He may well tell me to keep hold of it whilst he's still in barracks. Might be something he will cherish more once he has his own place again. I'm not sure how often they move or how long he's signed up for. He probably did tell me but I can't remember and then it will depend on whether he decides to stay in or not. Not sure what he will do if he comes out of the RAF but not going to worry about that until I have to. I couldn't believe the amount of ends there were and had already sewn some of them in as I went along. I will see if I can retrieve the wool ends to put out for the birds I must admit I hadn't thought about doing that. I always leave them the fluff from the tumble dryer and even the dogs fluff after we've groomed them and it always goes. The Bleeding Heart really is a beauty this year I don't remember it being that big before. D always tells me off for moving plants about but my grandmother was forever moving things about in the garden and they always came back. Nowadays I just don't tell him and when he asks if I've moved anything I tell him it was the pixies and the fairies that live at the bottom of the garden.:-)
      It's always the way that when you have seen something for a gift that if you don't get it at that moment it won't be there when you go back. D always laughs that I buy bits and bobs throughout the year for Christmas presents but I just know that when I go back it will be gone or discontinued and then I have to think of something else and it's just too stressful. Can't wait to see what little hats you've been making this month, how many are you up to now?

      Delete
    2. I've just looked at the calendar as I'm knitting one each week and I'd already knitted eleven last year so that I'll have fifty by the time October comes round, so I think I should have twenty eight by the end of April.

      Delete
  4. Oh you must be thrilled he is returning home shortly I'm sure it's been a long time coming for you. Your'e right not knowing where the time goes, I was off for a week last week & my carefully made plans, well half of them never came to anything. I think the plant is called a Dicentra or something like that, I'm happy to be wrong. I've always liked them & I found one in the garden the other week. I then remembered to my great shame that I had bought it last year & just plonked it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure when he'll next be able to visit but will just be glad when he is at least back in the UK. I think you are all right about the name of the plant it seems to ring a bell. I love it when I rediscover something I've planted and forgotten about. That's the great thing about perennials when they die back each year you can so easily forget what you had planted where. I do have to watch D though otherwise he will try planting something on top of something that's not yet regrown so I've band him from planting anything.

      Delete
  5. It's great to read that your son will soon be home.... and your crotchet looks gorgeous. I love the colours. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. Yes I will be very pleased this time next week when he is at least back on UK soil. He has his next posting but that's in the UK and hopefully he won't be going back out to Afghan anytime soon if at all.

      Delete
  6. I love bleeding hearts, that's the only name I know them by too! I've only just started reading your blog but I'm glad to hear your son will be home soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridget, Welcome to the chaos that is my world. I think the ladies are right I think it is also known as Dicentra I seem to remember seeing it on the label but wouldn't of remembered without being reminded.

      Delete
  7. I have never seen Harvey but JS is such a good actor it is probably a sure thing the film will be enjoyable, Some movies are just made for rainy days! I can't wait to see the blanket, nor can you I'm sure!
    I had one of those plants which I bought from a local nursery but I lost it in a frost. The flowers are such a pretty shape.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are lovely Lisa. I lost the white one I planted last year but I have been back to the garden center today and picked up another one in the hopes that if I plant it earlier this year it may have had a chance to bed in before it dies back for the winter.

      Delete