Pages

Thursday, 24 April 2014

Adolescence

Just a very quick post that I thought I would share with you all today.

Whilst we were away in Scotland our little Blackbird chicks fledged, but just as they have in previous years that don't seem too venture too far away from the garden for a while.




You can generally here either mum and dad or the fledglings call to each other from time to time.



I did wonder whether Mabel & Earl would have a second clutch as they did last year.

There has been a lot of activity around the Honeysuckle but as it's so big now I can't actually see the nest in there anymore to know whether they are on clutch number two or whether it's clutch number one that returns back to the nest every now and then.

Still I did have to chuckle to myself last night whilst in the den.

It was very quiet apart from the occasional calling of the wood pigeons when all of a sudden there was a commotion going on.  

At first I thought it was the neighbours cat with a bird.

But no

When I looked out of the window I saw this.....



At which point I thought 'see it's not just our kids that don't want to come in at tea time' even adolescent Blackbirds can turn into a 'Kevin'.


Hope you're all having a nice week.

Mx


PS

only 6 more sleeps to the big ta dah moment of the

'Homecoming from Afghanistan' Afghan

16 comments:

  1. Ha ha, that has given me a laugh. I often sit watching the birds and thinking to myself that's it's more interesting than any soap opera on tv. Exciting, only six more sleeps. I shall count down with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching birds they have such funny quirky little personalities. It is very exciting that he'll be back on UK soil soon. I won't get to see him for a while but at least he'll only be in Scotland.

      Delete
  2. Great fun. I love that last picture. I think we have house sparrow juveniles this year. There were half a dozen of them dust bathing in Joe's freshly dug veg patch a couple of nights ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have some of those up in the eves of the cottage and as the attic space is so small I could here them running about on Sunday morning.

      Delete
  3. That's so funny, I enjoy watching the birds myself, they seem to call to each other when I go back into the house so they can visit the feeder in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching them I could waste hours just sitting looking out the window.

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness it wasn't a cat... just a temper tantrum. How lovely! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. One of our neighbours has a cat who occasionally likes to come into our garden but as we have the dogs it doesn't come in very often but thankfully he wasn't the culprit.

      Delete
  5. Watching and listening to the birds in the neighbourhood is a pleasure.
    We have a blackbird couple who have been busy this Spring. They're nesting somewhere on the other side of our thick back garden hedge and spend a lot of time hopping about on the flat top calling to one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing them calling to one another. The male bird is usually very vocal in the early evening and sings to his mate it's lovely.

      Delete
  6. That last photo is priceless!
    I'm so far behind with reading posts are the mo.
    Only a couple more sleeps now!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely only 2/3 more sleeps. He will fly out on Tuesday and depending on delays etc should arrive back at base late Tuesday night or early hours of Wednesday morning.

      Delete
  7. The photo of the perturbed bird is quite the shot. You got it at just the right moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How often does that happen. It did make me smile

      Delete