Pages

Tuesday, 29 April 2014

Home Coming from Afghanistan Afghan Ta Dah



Hi all

The day has finally arrived and I am that excited I can't tell you.

I know I won't get to see number two for a while as they have all sorts of debriefing going on and normalization training and stuff but it will be so nice to know he's back on home ground.

He will be flying back today and arrive back in the UK late tonight or the early hours of tomorrow depending on whether there are any delays.




So the day has finally arrived when I can show you the finished Afghan that has been a WIP for the past seven months.

which started like this



Then grew to this



Then the pinning out began 





Then the joining together began in earnest



Over the Easter break I was busy sewing all the little ends in.  I did intend to count them all but there were just too many. Not to self next time sew them in as you go along makes the job a whole lot easier.

OK SO DRUM ROLL PLEASE ................................................


and at last I can reveal the finished item(s)


The trouble of living in our cottage is the light really isn't particularly good


so I ventured off into the garden with it so that hopefully you get to see the colours better. 



As you can see it just fits over a double sized bed


In total there are 164 squares in the Afghan itself and the remaining 18 make up the matching cushion.

In total 182 days one square for everyday that number two has served in Afghanistan. 


Welcome home son so glad to have you back on UK soil.

Thanks to all of you in blog land who have supported me through the last seven months you will never know what it has meant to have your support and good wishes.

Of course number two would say he was just doing his job.

Mx



19 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous, I love it. I think it was a brilliant idea to mark your son's time in Afghanistan in this way, your afghan will be an heirloom, something to pass down through your son's family with an explanation of why it was made. How lovely than you managed to make a matching cushion too. I hope you get to hear from your son very soon, I'm sure you will heave a sigh of relief when you know he's back on home soil. I can tell what a proud mum you are, quite rightly so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks Jo. I suspect he will leave it with me as he's in barracks and due to go to his next posting soon. But I will keep it for him and like you say even if it stays with me until he has a family of his own there will be a story behind the making of it to be passed on to his family. Trouble is now my daughter has seen it she wants one to take back to Uni in September. The Birthday surprise may have to be a September surprise but at least I will have enough time to make her another one as her keepsake for her birthday.

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful.... and you have made the number 182 so positive with this gorgeous heirloom. I'm not surprised that your daughter wants one too! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit the last week seemed to take longer than all the rest. I had finished the Afghan and was just waiting for the last few days to pass till I could finish off the cushion.

      Delete
  3. The bedspread is beautiful and so special for what it represents. Have a wonderful reunion with your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. He has sent me a text message this morning to say he arrived back very late last night so he's definitely back.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful news for you, I don't think I could even imagine the relief you must be feeling. A lovely heirloom to pass down with a touching story to match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little scary when we heard the news of the Lynx going down at the weekend but as D pointed out you wouldn't fit the whole of 58 Squadron in a Lynx. So sad for RAF Odiham and their families with 5 young lives lost.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant. That's worked so well and looks great. What a relief to have him back in the UK and I'd guess also a great sense of satisfaction to have finished such a big project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly is. He sent a text last night to say they were back. Not sure when I will get a chance to speak to him or see him but knowing he's back is enough for me. Yes I am glad I have finished the Afghan it's been a great sense of achievement and certainly once I had got the Afghan finished I was chomping at the bit for the last week so that I could finish the cushion too.

      Delete
  6. Tremendous achievement to have made something so special and so lovely. I hope you hear from your son soon. He may just say he's doing his job, but I think many of us would think of it as so much more than that. You must be so proud.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so Lisa but I do have to try and keep a lid on it when I see him when in reality I am so brimming with pride that I feel like a champagne bottle whose cork is about to pop. His siblings seem to be able to handle this much better than I.

      Delete
  7. Oh Mitzi - its so beautiful, what an amazing thing to have made, with such a story behind it. It will be a much treasured blanket always. Enjoy those hugs and hugs and more hugs,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. My thinking is that certainly whilst he's in barracks he will leave it with me. He's due to go to his next posting soon and he won't know how much room he will have till he gets there. Thanks for all the hugs very appreciated.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad your son is on home turf, safe and sound. The afghan project turned out beautifully, Mitzi!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. It does seem strange not to be making the squares everyday anymore. Still I have other projects still on the go.

      Delete
  9. The Afghan is gorgeous x I can't imagine how excited and relived you must be that your son is back x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very excited. He has text but I've not had a chance to speak to him yet. He's been pretty busy since returning and I believe by the comments on FB that there was a planned night out on Saturday which would probably involve a rather large hangover on Sunday. Still they deserve it.

      Delete
  10. Hello Mitzi, your afghan is beautiful and made even more so by the story that lies behind it. I'm glad to see that your son has returned safe and sound, the relief and excitement you are feeling must be immense. Have a lovely week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete