Pages

Friday, 18 April 2014

A bit of a ta dah moment

We have been working out in the garden today as dare I say the sun came out.





As you will see to the left of this photo we have a bird bath. Unfortunately it is quite old now and the bowl has a crack in from the frosts and snow last year and now of course it doesn't contain the water for very long, but as number three picked it when our last one got broken I don't want to get rid of it.

Recently Kate over at Just Pootling has mentioned Pinterest in some of her posts. Now I know all you clever people out there in blogland already know of it's existence but you have to remember that I am a bit slow at getting round to these things.  WELL not anymore thanks to Kate I am now hooked and have been busy making up boards of lots of different things to make note of for the future.

Anyway I digress 

Whilst on Pinterest I discovered this


succulents planted in a bird bath - my bird bath fell over and the top broke off. No problem...planted the succulents in the top portion and nestled it in the ground cover next to the garden pond. Looks great with a small solar light in it. - A keeper.

and this


Creative-Bird Bath!


and best of all

Fairy House by Urban Sea Star ~ love the tiny rusted tools affixed by the door, clever idea to place in old saucer and fill with plantings, love the planting on the roof too!

this.
Isn't it just fantastic such a simple idea but yet so great.

We decided to go out for breakfast this morning before getting started and went along to one of our favourite garden centres Four Seasons Garden Centre in Sleaford the breakfast was as always very nice by the way.

But whilst I was there and whilst D had an extra cup of coffee I, to coin Kate's phrase, had a little pootle around the plants and came home with some little alpine plants and now I have created this.

 

It's not quite as dramatic as the one above but it's my interpretation of it.  I was sure D wouldn't like it as he had already asked what the birds are supposed to bath in now, but I already have another little idea stored away about that, but to my surprise he thinks it looks great. I'm not sure I will get anything to grow on the roof of this little bird house but maybe I will find one slightly bigger in my travels which will but it's a start.

All these little alpines have flowers and will eventually grow to about 2 inches in height and the theory is that they should spread around the tray to look like a little garden.  I have put some bird seed in the little house to weigh it down as we get some strong winds across the fens and I was pleased to see that we had some little sparrows helping themselves this afternoon.

I am not blessed with very green fingers, something else my mother and grandmother would be appalled at as my grandmother had two or three greenhouses in which she grew all sorts of lovely plants and sold at our school fete, but  think this one might just be a goer what do you think?

Hope you are all enjoying a relaxing Easter weekend.

Mx




















14 comments:

  1. That's just brilliant Mitzi ! Love that you're enjoying Pinterest and love that you got to have a pootle today !
    Enjoy the rest of the Easter weekend,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. Enjoy your weekend too.

      Delete
  2. It's a brilliant idea & will look lovely when your plants start to flowers. I hope you have a Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they will once they bed in and start to spread and flower. Have a Happy Easter.

      Delete
  3. They look fabulous. What a great idea. Looking forward to pictures of it with the plants grown x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think it will be as spectacular as the one I saw on pinterest but I'm hoping it will look some what near once they bed in, start to grow and spread. Will take more pictures once they flower.

      Delete
  4. It looks brilliant, and glad to hear that the birds have found it already. I've never been on Pinterest. It's one of those things like Facebook and Twitter that I think is best left where it is, I spend far too much time on the computer as it is so I don't want to be addicted to any more sites and it sounds like I could get lost on there for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite possibly. It's more a thought provoker not social media. Lots of clever ideas and use of colour. I don"t have a Twitter account and I only really go on Facebook these days to keep in touch with the big kids especially as number two has used it to message everyone or at times been able to live chat with us which has been great. I expect once he"s back which is in 10days now I"'ll be back to going on it once in a blue moon. I know what you mean about computers though I work on rtf hem all day and you get to a point where you have to move away from it and do something else. How is Mick finding his Kindle? Now that is something I"m addicted to it goes everywhere with me I even have a charger for it in my car:-)
      Hope you"'re enjoying the Easter break.

      Delete
    2. Mick uses his Kindle just about every day, but hasn't read a book on it yet. He's got a few proper books on his to read pile so I think he's going to finish those before he buys any for his Kindle.

      Delete
    3. I'm still working my way through my to be read books but not many more to go now. I am definitely on target to have read 13 by June and then there will just be the remaining 13 or so still sat on there to get through :-) I have some waiting in the wings on my kindle too, the girls in the office say I have a little addiction to books and I think they could be right. What I do like on the kindle however is that you can download samples of a book (which is usually the first chapter) to see whether you like it or not, if you do you can go on to buy the full version and if you don't you can just delete from the kindle and you haven't wasted your time or money on a book you're not enjoying. trouble being I now have several samples on it to that I haven't gotten around to yet. Is there such a thing as readers anonymous cause if there is I think I need to join:-)

      Delete
  5. What a fab idea, it looks good!
    I love Pinterest, it can be a bit addictive though. But it can be very inspirational too.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard people talking about it but wasn't sure what it was all about. Then it was being mentioned in blog posts and on Ravelry. I was looking for an image of something on google and it came up with what I was looking for on Pinterest and that was it I was hooked. I've already gathered alot of inspirational ideas and uploaded a few of my own and now when I have an idea in my head but not sure what exactly I want to do or need a little help I have a look on Pinterest and so far it hasn't let me down. But it is very addictive.

      Delete
  6. Love those ideas for gardening. Sometimes there are some great ideas for something that no longer functions like it is suppose to. I love the idea to fill the old birdbath with plants. Love that birdhouse with the moss roof too. Thank you also for coming to visit my blog. Thank you for your sweet comment.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete