Pages

Friday, 7 March 2014

New Project

I don't know about anyone else but sometimes I can start a project and part way through it's just not grabbing me.  At the beginning of the year I started another Afghan with no clear decision as to who it was going to be for.  Two months down the line and I'm still not sure.  The colours are good colours that go well together maybe it's because I don't have a clear pattern in mind that I now find I'm struggling,  but as I have now made around 40 squares I will persevere. Partly I think it's because I have a very stressful job with a lot of responsibility and my crafting is my tonic and keeps me sane.  It has been especially stressful of late and I think this may be the reason why I cannot seem to get a clear direction with this particular project.


In the meanwhile my Coming Home From Afghanistan Afghan continues to grow and today marks 137 days that my son has been on tour so I now have 137 squares.  I am glad that with your help I came to a decision early on as to what the pattern should be and I have been slowly joining them together as I go along for the past month. The next round is ready to be joined this weekend.  Number two will leave Afghanistan for his two weeks R & R in 10 days time and by the end of his leave he will only have another 4 - 6 weeks till his tour is completed and therefore my Afghan will be completed too.


So why the title to this post? Well 2015 will mark my daughter's 21st birthday. She really likes my Autumn Leaves Afghan and has hinted more than once that it would really be nice on her bed at Uni.

I had bought this gorgeous Sublime wool but hadn't quite made up my mind what to do with it.
I had long been an  admirer of this Afghan made by Wightwitch on Ravelry but had no idea what the pattern was called.  I had been totting up points on my Waterstones Card and whilst in  my local store last weekend I spotted this lovely book of 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton. and guess what I had enough points to be able to treat myself BONUS.....

Up until I made the Poppy's last year I had never followed a crochet pattern before but was presently surprised by the clearly written instructions for each block, which also includes an indicator as to whether it is suitable for a novis, intermediate or experienced hooker (that sounds so wrong for which I apologise but you all know what I mean).



So far I have had a little practice with these three blocks 


Willow is my favourite so far


But it is the Circle in a Square that I have chosen for my new project as I think this is the pattern used by Wightwitch in her Afghan. 


This is my practice block using Sirdar Sublime Eskimo 0342 unfortunately this photo doesn't show you the colour at it's best.

At last I feel as though I have my mojo back and hopefully getting this project off the ground will inspire me again to get moving on my others.  


Happy crafting one & all.

Mx 

6 comments:

  1. I've got that book, it's got some really lovely squares in it, hasn't it? I think it's a lovely idea to make your daughter a blanket for her 21st, something to keep and treasure knowing you've made it yourself. You're nearly there with the Afghanistan Afghan, it won't be long now until Number 2 will be home again, I bet you can't wait to see him. As for the afghan you started at the beginning of the year, you could always make it in to a lap blanket so that you don't have to complete too many more squares if you don't want to. I made one for my mum and she loves it, she uses it all the time when she gets a bit chilly when she's watching tv on an evening or she puts it round her shoulders when reading in bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are a clever lady.... I did take a look at it again over the weekend and it wouldn't take too many more to make it into a blanket to have over the settee as the four paws do like to come up and have a cuddle bit of a squash if all four decide they would like to come up at the same time, or I could have it in the car which would then save my seats. Thanks Jo you've given me some food for thought.

      Delete
  2. I like the three new patterns you've been trying. A handmade blanket will be a lovely gift for your daughter.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made her a cross stitched Afghan when she was born which I still have tucked away so I thought it might be nice as part of her big birthday to make her something else that she can treasure, then when she's an old lady she will be able to tell her grand children how their great grannie made it for her.

      Delete
  3. I have a couple of knitting projects that need to be completed. One sweater is still waiting to be sewn together. I think I've been avoiding it because that's the part of the project I find most difficult. Good luck with your beautiful crochet projects.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love knitting too and I tend to follow the same rule, back first then a sleeve and one front and join together followed by the second front and second sleeve otherwise like you I think I would find the joining all together at once a lead tedious but great sense of achievement when you see the finished article.

      Delete