Pages

Monday, 10 March 2014

Mabel & Earl are back


It has been a hive of activity in the garden this weekend with the arrival
of our little blackbirds Earl & Mabel as we like to call them.


This is there fourth year of nesting in the Honeysuckle.  The Honeysuckle has grown so big and bushy that I could only just about see her sitting in there.



No babies yet but judging by the amount of time she was sat on the nest while Earl scurried about I think they must have a clutch of eggs waiting to hatch. 

I always feel Spring has arrived when this pair return to the garden. 


Elsewhere in the garden I spotted our first Ladybird of the year.

The Hellebores are in full bloom 





and whilst out walking the four paws I spotted this little chap. A bit early I thought but then the winter months have been fairly mild this year.


Hope you are having a good day one and all whatever you may be doing.

Mx

10 comments:

  1. I love that you have named your blackbirds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get masses of birds in the garden as it's quite open and next door has a cat that seems to like to come and pay a visit but the honeysuckle is tucked away at the front. They started off as Mr & Mrs B but last year moved to Earl and Mabel.

      Delete
  2. How lovely to have the same returning pair each year. At our old house we used to have a robin called Ethelred who was a regular visitor, but here there are none that stand out. House sparrows nested in our hedge last year, but they'd always come to the feeder en-mass so it was harder to give them names :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love more birds to visit but we're a bit open and I don't think they feel safe being so exposed but the Blackbirds have commandeered the best spot for their nesting area and I don't think they are ready to give it up or even share.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful. It's a few years now since we had blackbirds nesting in our front hedge. I hoped that they'd come back and nest again but they haven't done up to now. I haven't spotted any ladybirds yet this year but I saw my first bumblebee and Peacock butterfly at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year we hardly saw any ladybirds at all and the butterflies were very late coming into the garden. I've spotted a couple of the little tortoise shell ones and red admirals but no peacocks yet. They usually appear once the Buddlea have started to flower and then we are inundated with all kinds of butterflies and bees. I spotted some of the very big bees on Sunday but didn't have my camera to hand and one was sat on the wall of the cottage as I left for work this morning so I think Spring has almost sprung.

      Delete
  4. How lovely to have returning visitors. I saw our first butterfly yesterday when driving out from the field where we went to our first car boot of the year.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely twitterpating time with lots of birds and bees and butterflies starting to return to the garden. I love it I just need to have my camera to hand a bit more when I'm down in my den.

      Delete
  5. Your photos are lovely, Mitzi. I really like the close-up of the bird and the ladybug shot! My view is still one of snow, a bit unusual for this time of year.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh poor you. It has still been quite chilly over here but no snow thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete