Pages

Thursday, 6 February 2014

It May Be Winter Outside


But in my heart it's Spring or so the songs says.



Whilst at Morrison's this week I spotted these little cuties all ready to get us into pre- Spring mode   The little pots had been reduced to 66p each and the pot with the daffodils on the side were down to £1.66.

They were as dry as a bone as seems to be the way when you buy plants from supermarkets.  They are currently residing on the kitchen windowsill having a well earned drink, but I know exactly where they are going to go.  And I will show you that later.


Meanwhile on the challenges.  I have now completed my fourth book, Things We Never Say - Sheila O'Flanagan,  from my 'Yet to be read' shelf. Only another nine to have read by the end of June.









and new month means new choice of a book for my  re-read from our school days challenge


 Lord of the Flies by William Golding was really my nemesis.  I didn't enjoy it at school at all. So I decided I would face my nemesis head on by making it my choice for February better to get it out of the way early on I thought rather than putting off to the very end. All I remember about it is that following a plane crash there is a group of boys left on a deserted island with no grown ups to look after them and the only other inhabitants of the island is pigs. Oh and my other abiding memory is that at some stage there is a pigs head on a stick which is then known as 'Lord of the Flies'.




 I will be starting this one this evening so will let you know how I get on next week. 

Looking around blogland there seem to be some pretty amazing challenges going on for 2014 and it is already giving me a few ideas for 2015.



Have a good week one & all whatever you may doing or wherever life may be taking you. 


Mx





8 comments:

  1. Good luck with Lord of the Flies - I think you've about summarised my memories of it too, that combined with lots of lessons talking about how the imagery of the scars and savagery represent a broken society - or something like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started reading it last night and so far they have just arrived on the island and have made Ralph the Chief and organising who will make the shelters and the fire to signal for help and who will go hunting and foraging for food.

      Delete
  2. You did well with your bargain bulbs. Morrisons is great for plants and flowers, their prices are really reasonable. I've never read Lord of the Flies, in fact, I didn't even know what it was about. How's the blanket coming along? How many squares left to go? Hope number 2 is going on ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a bargain, a canny shopper as my grandmother would of said. I have started Lord of the Flies and so far it's about just as I remembered it. I have started joining the squares together on my Coming Home from Afghanistan blanket. We're over the 100 square mark now. I have another pile of squares to start and add this weekend. He should on his R & R next month and then scheduled to come home at the beginning of May.

      Delete
  3. Who doesn't like daffodils, they are just so cheery aren't they. I have some on my mantelpiece right now.
    We read LOTF at school and we had to do character studies on some of the boys and I remember my owrk was shown to others as an example of how to do it! That just didn't happen which is why I can still remember it!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had blotted the memory of reading it at school. I'm sure there would have been major discussions about each of the characters but I can't remember now I do know that anything I had written about it wouldn't of been presented to the rest of the class as I really detested it at the time.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. Those flowers look lovely, I bought some as well, daffodils and iris' and they are starting to bloom. Sun is shining today as well! :)
    I had to read 'Lord of the flies' as well. The teacher was forever talking about symbolism of, this and that, throughout the reading of the book... the conch shell meant something, can't remember what now. I do remember using cliff notes at some point and we watched the film as well. Wonder if you will like it now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it when I start to see snowdrops and daffodils you know that Spring isn't too far away. Certainly the one in the daffodil pot has started to open and it's looks lovely. I am quite tempted to pick up some more next time I go to Morrisons. So far I would say that I now get the symbolism of Lord of the Flies but I'm still not sure how much it would mean to most of our young people today. As to whether I like it I think the jury is still out. I have almost finished it now so if nothing else I will be able to say I've given it a second chance. I have found the film on YouTube from 1963 (which just so happens to be the year I was born) and I intend to watch it once I have got through the last few pages. I always like to compare a film that is based on a novel to see how true one stays to the other. Today the sun is out but it has been bitterly cold and the car was iced over again this morning. Spring can't come quick enough for me.

      Delete