Pages

Saturday, 9 November 2013

Gone But Not Forgotten

For The Fallen



With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.


They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This year above all others will be a more poignant Remembrance Day for me. Whilst so many have been lost,  including  another soldier from Mercian Regiment just this very week leaving a wife and two small boys, my own son aged just 22 remains on active duty in Afghanistan.  Whenever the phone rings unexpectedly my heart leaps with every ring. So far he remains safe and well and I can only hope this will remain for the duration of his tour.  For those who have lost loved ones I would like to say I can appreciate the pain you have suffered but I cannot begin to know how it must feel and I pray to God that I never have to.



Mx

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard this poem before. We're so lucky that we have our freedom in this country. It's only down to people like your son who are willing to serve their country to ensure it stays this way, and those who have served in the past, that that is so. I can't imagine what you are feeling with your son away in Afghanistan, my thoughts are with both you and him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I have been listening to the forces radio this morning and have sent in a couple of messages to be read out for 58 Squadron. There are some lovely poems but this is the one I remember.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mitzi, My husband is out now but I was a army wife, and my Dad and brother were both in the Air force. Its hard being apart, good thoughts for you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again forgot to mention the poem, I had not read that one before. They do bring a tear to the eye. I didn't do a post about veterans day felt a bit bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mitzi,

    It is a lovely poem indeed. I do feel so sorry for the families of soldiers, never knowing how they are (even though the lines of communication are now better than they ever were) when they are so far away. It must be extremely difficult for you and your family back at home, hoping for your son's safety. Fingers-crossed he comes back safely and on time.

    Best wishes,
    Tash from vintagepretty.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mitzi. Thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comment. I checked out the blanket you are making your son and what is not to love! I am sure he will be quite surprised and find it useful in the years to come, and above all, he will always remember that his mother made it especially for him.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete